R6 Message Net banner

21 - 40 of 435 Posts

·
"Project 2K3R6"
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
if you have a small hole on the bottom of the tip of the exhaust, then yes!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I recently purchased an RS-3 for my 2001 R1 and really like it. However, one thing I was a little disappointed in, however, was the way it fit on the bike. When I installed it per the instructions (and the only way it would fit without any modifications to the can, the exhaust hanger, etc.) the connector pipe fit VERY closely to the swingarm and the end can fit VERY closely to the brace on the swingarm. Nothing touched, but it was a little too close for my tastes. I rotated the connector pipe to give me some more clearance between it and the swingarm, but then that changed the position of the end can so that it didn't line up with the OEM exhaust hanger. I ended up modifying the OEM exhaust bracket so the can and connector pipe could be mounted in such a manner to give me, what I thought, was sufficient clearance against the swingarm/swingarm brace. All of this made the end can sit slightly higher than it was 'supposed' to, therefore not giving sufficient room to mount it to the OEM exhaust hanger.

As a result, the clamp that goes around the end can is about 1.5 to 2 inches forward of where it's supposed to go. This should still be OK, right? When I grab the end cap of the can and attempt to 'wiggle' it to see if there's any flex or movement in the whole thing, the pipe assembly feels solid. In fact, the whole bike moves so I'm pretty confident it's mounted solidly. However, I wanted to get your input. Do you see anything wrong with what I've done or how the pipe looks? I know some aftermarket exhausts have the exhaust clamps positioned like I have mine, and some even look like they are even close to the 'front' of the muffler than mine. I guess they don't have any issues either.

So, all that being said, do you think the way I have this mounted is OK? If not, why? I know each aftermarket manufacturer tries to get their stuff to fit like the OEM stuff does, but it seems that no matter who makes it or how much it costs, it never fits as good as the OEM stuff.

Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to get your opinion on this since I'm sure you've fitted numerous aftermarket pipes to various bikes.

Cheers,

S.

Attachments

·
"Project 2K3R6"
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
you can purchase it directly through us. Contact our sales Dept and ask for prt# TRS-INS-K,
this is the prt# for the TRS street low volume insert!!

·
Eli, please ban winter
5,768 Posts
vahyper6 said:
Yes, it is the same exhaust system. If he wants the Dual Tip (TRI) in carbon, he's looking at $550 for just the canister with the stainless internals! Prt# CRTRI186W,
$900 for the Ti internals PRT# CRTRI187W
That's a lot of dip, thanks :thumbup

·
Registered
336 Posts
vahyper6,

Can I purchase a standard mount mid-pipe that will work with my high exit TRS full system? I'd like to have the option of carrying a passenger every now and then and it's either this or have a custom bracket made.

Thanks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
webcrawlr said:
vahyper6,

Can I purchase a standard mount mid-pipe that will work with my high exit TRS full system? I'd like to have the option of carrying a passenger every now and then and it's either this or have a custom bracket made.

Thanks.
+1.

Or is there a bracket for a high exit TRS that allows you to keep the passenger pegs?

·
Registered
822 Posts
the high exit looks great, but unfortunately ive only seen it once from a pic online, do you have any pics of the high exit tri oval? R1 preferred if not any model bike. And would the carbon fiber tip be available for a 2002 R1?

Thanks!

·
"Project 2K3R6"
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
ok guys im back from our dealer/partsunlimited show out in Madison, WI.

Frame Sliders - completed and shipping

High Exit - we do not have a bracket to retain the passenger pegs however you can switch between the two mid-pipes as the diameters are the same, but you will need to use the high exit bracket if using the high exit mid-pipe.

·
"Project 2K3R6"
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
ill have it posted tomorrow morning, but i believe it is prt#1361-419

ill double check...

·
"Project 2K3R6"
1,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
ive got a dual tip but not in high exit, i love the sound.....maybe i can make a video of it....

·
Registered
254 Posts
just figured i would post, i just installed my rs-3 stainless slip on 2 days ago and i love it, i wouldnt have it sound any other way.

and the install was a breeze so ...

really no questions here just positive feedback

·
Still Ridin!!!
466 Posts
Justin I got a couple questions for you...

A while back I purchased a Yoshi RS-3 CF slip-on from one of the members here for my 2000 R6. Pipe is great, looks good, sounds good and I've really enjoyed it. Here's a link to the post where I bought it, to save the trouble of posting pics. Pic is in post #4.

Yoshi CF RS-3

Just the other day I picked this up. It's a header and mid-pipe from a Yoshi SS full system. The guy had the can, but it'd been banged up pretty bad in a wreck. So I just bought the mid-pipe and header off of him. Here's the link.

Yoshi header and mid-pipe

My plan was to use the header and my slip-on together and see how it did. However, once I got the header last night and took a good look at it, it appears that the mid-pipe that came with it (supposed to fit a 2 1/4" canister) is a larger diameter than the mid-pipe on my slip-on (not sure on the measurement of this one). This gave me a little concern, that if I used my slip-on (with the smaller diameter mid-pipe) that I'd be restricting the flow of the system too much.

Is this the case, or am I over thinking it too much? Would it be okay to run the slip-on and the header together in that set up?

I had considered simply using the can off of my slip-on and attaching it to the mid-pipe that came with the header. However, the full system I bought utilizes the springs to attach the canister to the mid-pipe whereas my slip-on does not.

Can this be done or am I out of luck?

I had considered buying a new can to go with the full system and selling my slip-on. What would a canister run to go with a system such as this? If you could, shoot me the prices on a SS and CF. Also, how much does a set of spring typically run for attaching the mid-pipe to the canister? Is a high exit mid-pipe an option for this model year?

Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate the help!

21 - 40 of 435 Posts