R6 Message Net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, still looking to pick up a bike, but need some help on years. Im looking for something in the 98 to 00 range, during these years, were the bikes the same?Like same hp output,and speed?

What am i looking at to pay for a 98 to 00 r6? Thanks alot guys.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
No such thing as a 98 R6.

Search the site man.. all the info you need is here. There is a big pretty button at the top that says "SEARCH". :D

·
Registered
817 Posts
Talking about just the YZF-R6, right?
I'll test my memory.

*First year was the 1999 YZF-R6L.
*The 2000 YZF-R6M was basically the same.
*The 2001 YZF-R6N (I owned a red/white one) has a slew of changes, with some that weren't easy to see (like a smaller battery and connecting rods that were a half of a millimeter longer in length) and some that were obvious (like the sleeker (and much better-looking) tail cowling along with the first LED taillight on a sportbike). The bike supposedly had a power increase of a couple HP.
*The 2002 YZF-R6P was the same as the 2001.
*The 2003 YZF-R6R was a new bike, with the frame and swingarm being produced with a trick new die-casting technique. The engine was fuel injected for the first time. The bike lost a smidge of weight and gained a skosh of power, or so I read. The headlights, taillights, and bodywork were changed while still keeping the YZF-R family resemblance.
*The 2004 YZF-R6S had a tweak or two done to the FI mapping, as well as a change to the muffler, though I don't remember exactly what it was. Something minor, probably.
*The 2005 YZF-R6T got the inverts and radial-mount front calipers. The frame was beefed-up around the steering head and swingarm pivot.
*The coming 2006 YZF-R6V (there's also a YZF-R6SV for 2006 that is like the 2003-2004 models for less $$) is once again all-new with MotoGP tech coming out of it's pores.

·
Registered
989 Posts
YZEtc good job

·
Registered
237 Posts
+1 on Sportbikeguy.com -
I decided on a 99 for a trackbike - the bikes are virtually the same from 99-02...'03 is where things start changing (most notably FI, a better transmission, and further weight reduction). I paid $2200 for a 7k mile '99 with bent forks, misaligned rim and an extra set of track plastics- < $2500 total after ebaying for the parts I needed.
EDIT: The Search function really really really needs to be updated to allow for multiple word searches. Every search I do I have to sift through 11 pages of gooblygoo.

·
Registered
237 Posts
yeah..it works for 2 words but not for more than that. This forum is so huge that I think 3+ word searches would really help limit searching time (especially for us new R6'ers that come from yzf600r.com (great search function)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts