R6 Message Net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
It's like clockwork-
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st question:

Which is better, XM or sirius? and i don't really care about talk shows.. mostly just classic rock/punk rock and stuff like that.. I want to get one or the other for my car, also, is there any way i could get one of like the portable ones and be able to hook it into my car as well? or would i need a whole xm or sirius head unit to play it in my car..

also, i drive a 97 honda civic, the bastard before me put this HUGE loud annoying fart can on it (about 4"-5" diameter w/ no silencer or anything of the sort) not only is it loud, but could this all be slowing the car down? like not letting it have any back pressure or something? i'm probably just retarded and making it up, but i can't justify any other reasons why it could be so slow :umm not that i try to race or anything, but to be able to pull away at a stop light at least 3/4 as fast as my gf's chevy cavalier would be nice.. i mean he also put headers and an aftermarket air filter on so you think that should help for something.. but it's like to keep up with normal traffic the car's like 234203984029384 Db..

any idea how much it would cost to get a different exhast tip installed?

thank's

trix

·
Registered
52 Posts
For the radio, I have had XM for a few years now and I like what they play. Some of the stuff on Fungus, the punk station, hurts my ears, but they have other good stations.

For the exhaust, get a Greddy cat back. They are a little more money, but they are super quiet and have a nice deep tone, so standing next to the car at idle it sounds stock, and at highway speed, all of the systems hush up. That and I hate the look of Fart-Cans and the SP2's look the business.

·
Registered
165 Posts
yea XM and Sirius are going to be the same thing very shortly. I'd go with whatever hardware you like better. I got a stiletto 100 (sirius), and I love it.

·
It's like clockwork-
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ownt said:
yea XM and Sirius are going to be the same thing very shortly. I'd go with whatever hardware you like better. I got a stiletto 100 (sirius), and I love it.
can you use your stiletto in the car? like through the car speakers?

i believe there's some sort of car adapter kid for it..

also i noticed the headphones have a extra antenna in them.. does it still work ok with other headphones?

·
Duck Season
501 Posts
ownt said:
It'll be a cold day in hell before the FTC allows that merger.

Could you paint "Big Gulp" on the side of your exhaust? I've always wanted to do that.

·
It's like clockwork-
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bippi said:
It'll be a cold day in hell before the FTC allows that merger.

Could you paint "Big Gulp" on the side of your exhaust? I've always wanted to do that.
they've been talking about it quite a bit..

i don't pay attention to much but i actually heard that on the radio a few times

·
Duck Season
501 Posts
trixr606 said:
they've been talking about it quite a bit..

i don't pay attention to much but i actually heard that on the radio a few times
Well....

They're trying to merge. No doubt about that.

however, I think (and I'm too lazy to look this up)
1.) There's a specific charter in the FCC or FTC saying that two satellite radio companies can't form together for a monopoly.
2.) Dish Network and DirectTv tried this, and it failed for the sake of it being a monopoly.

·
It's like clockwork-
1,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i just talked to a guy that works at the radio shack about the sirius stiletto, he said he's had a lot of complaints about poor reception around tree's and buildings.. so that's kinda up in the air, it also kidna sucks you have to use their headphones.. i was kidna hoping to use my own..

·
Registered
165 Posts
trixr606 said:
well i just talked to a guy that works at the radio shack about the sirius stiletto, he said he's had a lot of complaints about poor reception around tree's and buildings.. so that's kinda up in the air, it also kidna sucks you have to use their headphones.. i was kidna hoping to use my own..

Well, honestly, I only use it in the car, so I can't really comment about walk-around reception. I do know that it is one of the smaller (smallest?) portable units, and comes with different capacity batteries to make it smaller or last longer. It does also feature WiFi capability if you're willing to pay a little more for it, where if you're in an area with wifi hotspots (usually metropolitan areas, schools, and generic coffee houses), it will connect to the internet and actually stream sirius from the net if you prefer.

As for using their headphones, you can use your own if you want. They provide headphones with a built-in antenna, but it's absolutely retarded looking.

Another thing I really liked about it, is you can one button record songs off the feed, and play them back later. Something like 2 or 4 gigs of space on the thing, I don't recall offhand. You can also put mp3's on it as well, from your computer or whatever. So it kind of doubles as a mp3 / portable satellite receiver.

Maybe there's some place that will offer a money back guarantee on the hardware? So you could try it out and see for yourself.

·
Duck Season
501 Posts
I'd like to put in a vote for sirius. All channels (maybe stern isn't) are commercial free, not just a very select few... and the uncensorship is much higher on sirius than it is on XM. Like, there's a few censored channels on sirius, but those are few and far between...and even then, the censorship is more like, "we just play stuff from the 50s." Whereas, my friends with XM say there's ONE uncensored rap channel.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts