R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this had already been asked. I'm just wondering if there will be any full length exhausts (like an '05 slip-ons length) made for these bikes. It's a sick bike and I'm considering buying one but that exhaust is fucking hideous. Anyone know?

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Gah I hope not.. thats one of the best parts of the bike... regardless of how you think it "looks" the functionality of it for us racers is AWESOME.

There is always the R6S if you want a standard pipe...

·
can't get enough
256 Posts
to tell you the truth....the exhust is what i like best about the bike....the only thing i don't like is the headlights...wish they'd done something with projector lights instead.

·
"Project 2K3R6"
1,401 Posts
^^^ i totally agree, although it supposed to be a "race" bike, if they were planning on putting headlights on the thing like they did, they could have made them more like the 03-05 with projectors. The headlight on the 06 look like they belong on the 1st gen R6s.....obviously lighting technology wasnt taken into consideration when building the bike......probably just performance.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
vahyper6 said:
^^^ i totally agree, although it supposed to be a "race" bike, if they were planning on putting headlights on the thing like they did, they could have made them more like the 03-05 with projectors. The headlight on the 06 look like they belong on the 1st gen R6s.....obviously lighting technology wasnt taken into consideration when building the bike......probably just performance.

They have to produce a certain number to meet the homogolation requirements.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I agree that the headlights are ugly. They remind me of 636 lights. They must weigh less than projectors. The only logical idea I can think of for the switch.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Firetire said:
If you're worried about the exhaust than that bike is not for you.
Just out of curiosity, what the hell does that even mean? I've owned 3 R6s including my race bike since 2000. I'm most likely going with another R1 for the street but the R6 is very appealing to me. Unfortunately I think the exhaust completely ruins the right side of the bike. The stock one isn't too noticeable but the aftermarket ones are. I'm not "worried" about it because there are plenty of other bikes I wouldn't mind owning instead but you say it like I'm not qualified to buy one because I care what it looks like, which is a joke.

And Thrak, when you say it's nice for racing, what do you mean? I've never dragged a race pipe so ground clearance isn't an issue and considering ti and carbon exhausts weigh almost nothing I don't see how much difference that would make by moving the weight lower. It's a trend thing, they're just following Suzuki.

·
Stock Tiip ARIO!
1,625 Posts
I agree with you that 2006 pipe looks like shit and since I don't race and only drive on the street , the extra performace is a waste,but not really. I'm staying with my pretty 2002 which I have two really nice full exhaust and are presenty putting on a hand made aka full racing titanuim pipe that looks sexy as hell-and a also nice Yoshimura RS3 that i am selling, I bet they do come out with a long full pipe for the 2006, but it will take a while for pipe makers to come out with one. The old pipes for older r6's are works of art not just a stamped out looking peice of shit like the 2006 comes with even if it is titanuim-it looks like crap. I would never buy a new bike because i would rather get a sightly used bike and get it away from some mommy's boy that should'nt have gotten it in the first place because a r6 is like a loaded gun:gunner

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Nickers03R1 said:
And Thrak, when you say it's nice for racing, what do you mean? I've never dragged a race pipe so ground clearance isn't an issue and considering ti and carbon exhausts weigh almost nothing I don't see how much difference that would make by moving the weight lower. It's a trend thing, they're just following Suzuki.
Well, Yamaha and Suzuki are releasing it for 06, so I dunno how you can say 1 is following another. :shrug R6 pics were leaked before Suzuki's, so I guess you could REALLY say Suzuki is following Yamaha... :p

Easier to remove and replace the rear wheel during tire changes, less chance of your $1000 exhaust system getting destroyed in a crash, much less weight because it has 1/2 the tubing. Even if its made of Ti, it's made of 1/2 the Ti.

When you move more weight closer to the C.O.G. of the bike, it is easier/quicker to turn...

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm the same way i have an 05 R6 and was thinking of getting the 06 as well but the thing i don't like is that exhaust but every thing else is fine and the new look is crazy.

Attachments

·
"Project 2K3R6"
1,401 Posts
thrak,
what is this homogolated talk w/ headlights? They produced the headlights with projectors for 03-05 and the bike was produced worldwide which means the headlights met homogolation requirements, so why would they take a step back in terms of motorcycle lighting and use a traditional reflector much like the 1st gens?

between the two exhausts, mechanics have never had any issue about removing a rear wheel for our suzuki team whether its traditional or not none of that has an effect on removing a wheel. Also these exhausts arent necessarily lighter at all! We have weighed the 06 GSXR600 exhaust and its just about the same as last year!!! Now moving the weight toward the COG makes sense, that i will agree with. Another thing that Spies told me when he was in our office and we were chatting for a little bit was that he feels the new design has better foot comfort and his heel had added room for better foot placement. According to this information it seems that the new design has been developed with the racers comfort in mind.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
vahyper6 said:
thrak,
what is this homogolated talk w/ headlights? They produced the headlights with projectors for 03-05 and the bike was produced worldwide which means the headlights met homogolation requirements, so why would they take a step back in terms of motorcycle lighting and use a traditional reflector much like the 1st gens?
It looks like they went back to parts they had lying around. The headlights look very similar to R1 headlights from 00-01, just split apart... Those headlights are probably alot cheaper to produce as well, so ... why put expensive lighting on the bike when its just going to be removed for track bodywork?

between the two exhausts, mechanics have never had any issue about removing a rear wheel for our suzuki team whether its traditional or not none of that has an effect on removing a wheel.
They're professionals.. I'm think about me at the track. I hate having to pull my rear wheel off right next to the ultra hot exhaust so I can get the tire changed before my next race...

Now moving the weight toward the COG makes sense, that i will agree with. Another thing that Spies told me when he was in our office and we were chatting for a little bit was that he feels the new design has better foot comfort and his heel had added room for better foot placement. According to this information it seems that the new design has been developed with the racers comfort in mind.
Yeah man! Thats going to be nice too... hadnt thought about foot placement.. the high-mounts really infringed on how you place your foot on the peg. The standards were better, but my heel was still hitting the midpipe.

·
"Project 2K3R6"
1,401 Posts
thrak, you getting an 06?

·
Registered
274 Posts
If you lowside on the exhaust side on the 06 R6, it will get destroyed--shorty exhaust or not. The only way it's not going to get destroyed is if it was mounted under the tail like the CBR600RR.

I've owned 2 CBR600RR's, and having the exhaust located under the seat saved me from having to spend more money to replace the darn thing everything I crashed.

But racers and trackday goers will definitely benefit from the new 06 R6 more so than the rider who likes to cruise around town. This bike is definitely meant for the track.

Can't wait to see it this Sunday.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I meant following Suzuki because of the disgusting exhaust on the '05 GSXR 1000, not their new 600. That was the first butt-ugly exhaust that was meant completely for performance.

I had a ti exhaust on my race bike last year and no problems at all with wheel changes, but that was without removing the rear caliper so that might be an issue. As far as weight, you can pick up a full length titanium slip-on with two fingers, the 1 lb. weight savings to me mean nothing on the track and neither does the CG. With the stock exhaust ir might make a big difference but who keeps the stocker on a race bike anyway?

Either way, to me the aftermarket exhausts on '06 look like little dicks sticking out of the lower. If they could at least come out with something comparable to the pipe they ran on the MotoGP bikes (when they had them) it would be kick-ass. They at least had an upward angle and looked like race exhausts instead of garbage.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Nosepicker said:
If you lowside on the exhaust side on the 06 R6, it will get destroyed--shorty exhaust or not. The only way it's not going to get destroyed is if it was mounted under the tail like the CBR600RR.

I've owned 2 CBR600RR's, and having the exhaust located under the seat saved me from having to spend more money to replace the darn thing everything I crashed.

But racers and trackday goers will definitely benefit from the new 06 R6 more so than the rider who likes to cruise around town. This bike is definitely meant for the track.

Can't wait to see it this Sunday.
The underseat is the complete opposite because they trade added weight for looks. Those exhausts increase the weight by a large amount but since they're trendy in the looks department they don't care.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts