R6 Message Net banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm starting to hear that whining sound some of you guys have been talking about after I did my 520 conversion with one tooth down in the front. I remember reading that is was the chain and sprockets rubbing together due to incorrect wheel alignment. How the hell do I fix it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Whining sound after 520 convertion?

Yeah, I remember u told me that last year :spitlaugh That should take care of it :thumbsup

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

nearly all the time the front sprocket goes on with the stamped numbers facing outward so you can read them while its mounted.:thumbsup

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Did you replace the stock countershaft sprocket? If the chain's alignment checks out OK, then what you might be hearing is the chain on the countershaft sprocket. The OE countershaft has rubber on it to damp the noise.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

So you guys are saying that the thicker side of the counter shaft sprocket should've been facing out towards me? I did the install by following a video that was posted up earlier and they show the the thick spacer side facing in. Were they wrong? Here's the link to the video (right click "save as").
members.cox.net/azadrenal...%20net.wmv

·
Gossamer has MOJO!!!
15,535 Posts
Re: ....

haha yeah ...I mean at leat according to Vortex tech department. Devil also called and they told him the same exact thing...shoulder out. I dunno maybe someone else should try calling 3rd times a charm! Tech Line: (727) 376-1933

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I called. =P Bet they getting pissed off over at Vortex...haha Yeah they said the same thing to me too. Guess I'll try to flip it later today. Anyone else try yet?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I wish I knew what you guys are hearing because I recently droped a tooth up front with a Renthal and in a crouched position I noticed a wierd sound. I am still running the 532 stock size and I am sure it's on right. So maybe this rubber stuff on the stock sprocket does help keep the noise down.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

You know I just made the same mistake w/ a Vortex front because it wasn't stamped with numbers and/or arrow which is what I usually go by -- Thanks again to this Board for saving my arse!

Just switched it back (bigger lip out.)

Vortex Pisses me off because I already did one mtn run about 250 miles last weekend. I didn't hear anything different as far as whining but I wonder how much pre-mature wearing and chain stretching/damage was done. What do you all think?

Deezul or someone can you pls. sticky this for future reference? Just stupid when a manufacturer cannot stamp them... Just for the record, I ordered AFAM sprockets and the retailor sent a Vortex front instead.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

This is good to know since I'm doing the conversion for the first time this weekend. I also bought the Vortex sprockets and I'm nervous enough about doing this without hearing this crap. Here's to hoping I do it right! :thumbsup

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

So I flipped the front sprocket this morning so that the bigger lip is facing out. Defiantly better. I still hear a little whining but hardly and only if I'm riding next to a wall or close to a car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Whining sound after 520 convertion?

Hey Vandalizer7 I have the same problem but I don't have the 520 conversion. I have a sprocket specialties 1 down front sprocket and sprocket specialties rear w/ did chain. Since they were put on I hear a whinning sound when I'm along side a car or a divider in the road. Shop doesn't know what would cause it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Well I don’t know if the sprocket specialties has it but Vortex has a spacer on one side of the front sprocket. That thick spacer side should be facing out toward you. You might want to check and see if it’s in the right way. Someone else also said to check your wheel alignment. If that’s off then the chain will rub against the sprocket and could make that noise as well. And if it’s not even that loud, it might just be normal since there is no rubber washer on the front sprocket like the stock one does. That about sums up this whole topic. =)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

I recently went to a 15/50 Vortex sprockets with a DID chain. After buttoning everything up, I took it for a test ride and noticed the whine. I called my local bike shop and they told me that the steel from the chain rubbing against the aluminum sprocket was making the noise. I didn't buy it, and took it to a friend who put it on the laser alignment tool. The stock alignment marks on the swingarm were off, and we got it dead on. The whining noise has dramatically decreased, but is still there slightly (and yes, the countersprocket is oriented correctly). I guess I can live with a little noise for the increase in acceleration

1 - 20 of 35 Posts