R6 Message Net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a 520 conversion for my 01 r6 and i'm getting all the parts off ebay and local sellers and whanot cuz i'm cheap :D. anyway, there's a seller on ebay that has a set of 50,51, and 52T Spyke rear sprockets (which is a very reputable candian company) for a good price, he's also in my neighborhood so i can just go pick them up from him. anyway, my question is, i can get a set of vortex sprockets for about 15 bucks cheaper than getting those three rear sprockets and an afam front sprocket, which should i get? the only problem with the spyke's is that they're used a bit as they were originally intended for a race bike, and i'm worried that they might wear out my chain prematurely...

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
^^+1, Im a firm believer in "you buy cheap, you buy TWICE" I run AFAM front and rear sprockets with a DID chain, Ive heard not so good things about Vortex sprockets

·
Converted to the Darkside
175 Posts
i wouldn't bother getting a 520 chain/sprocket combo if you don't have a lot of money. the aluminum sprockets wear out much faster, so does the chain. avoid buying used parts here. i'd go to a 530 chain/sprocket combo over the stock 532, but thats just so you can get longer life. the weight savings, while theoretically nice, aren't noticeable unless you've got a full bore race bike and money is no object.

just add 3 teeth to the rear, or lose one tooth on the front and go with steel sprockets for lifespan. it'll lower that power hit from 8500 rpm to 7000, so the power is much more useable in town.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts