R6 Message Net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a stock gsxr 600 and he can get it to wheelie in 1st gear just by accelerating to about 7000 rpms and letting go and cranking the throttle. I have tried this on my R6 and the wheel comes up about 6 inches. Any comments on how to wheelie??

·
Registered
264 Posts
grow some tentacles, hold on REAL tight, increase your rpms to maybe 8 8.5 should do it for sure and if your maintaining a speed completly close throttle and then go wide open throttle and it'll come up just make sure to cover the rear brake and or clutch if it starts to go back too far, OR you could clutch it up by going along at X engine speed pull the clutch in rev it up to 9 10 or 11 grand and dump the clutch all in rapid succession and it will come up faster but some like it that way

I'm no wheelie expert but either of those ways WILL work on a R6 (what year do you have?)

·
Registered
136 Posts
dude please for one thing dont make it like someones gsxr is better than your bike becuase if not the same your r6 is way better and more reliable and has almost the exact same amount of power . so here is how i did it on my 04 r6

i wouldnt look at the rpm's i would actually look at my speedometer , but in actuality it doesnt really matter. its about the suspension and torque

i would take my bike to about 15-20 miles an hour in 1st gear , then i let go of the throttle then hit it again hard and it comes up.

now if you are a wheelie beginner, id say 6 inches is pretty decent, everyones first wheelie was probably the same or even less,

but want you want to do is get the rear suspension to drop a little by giving it the first initial gas then let go quickly and then quickly before the suspension comes back up hit the gas again hard and then you have a wheelie.
and like i said 6inches is good to start now you have to learn how to hold it up you basically have to find that point where its enough gas to get it up and keep it there but not to much where it jumps too far and possibly backwards
if you want to be able to ride a good wheelie it will take practice just like everything else. the more you do it the more natural and easy it will be.

MOST IMPORTANTLY WEAR SOME GEAR AND INVEST IN SOME FRAME SLIDERS OR EVEN A CAGE AND MAKE SURE THERE ARENT CARS BEHIND YOU ON THE RAOD IN CASE YOU FALL SO YOU DONT GET RAN OVER.
good luck be safe

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok...i'm gonna let the testicles comment slide cause we're all friends here and you guys are helping me out...haha..no trust me i tell my boy all the time that his gsxr sucks big dick. But as far as the wheelies go. I feel sometimes that it just won't happen...i have tried it at multiple different speeds and rpms in first and still nothing. but thanks for the help and i can't wait to try it out.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
moved to stunters corner.

have you tried the twisties...maybe stunting just isn't your thing :lol

jk but seriously i hope you find much more demanding and better uses for your amazing machine than just wheelies.

·
Registered
264 Posts
haha not testicles, TENTACLES (i.e. "squid".... sorry it's a bad joke if you don't know what a squid is with respect to motorcycles search it i'm sure there is a colorful explanation of it somewhere.) as far as your bike (06+) they tend to have less low end torque than most other 6s but they more than make up for it up top and in the "twistys" so your bike is actually more to suited them which is why your buddies gixxer is so much easier to wheelie because it has more torque in lower rpms than yours, i'm not saying it's impossible but just more effort than even a 03-05 r6 would take. i know clutching it up sounds absurd but it really is the best way to wheelie in most peoples opinion. i hope you find something that suits you (seriously try leaning it over in some twisties too you might find it's just as much fun for you if not more) cheers man!

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
they sound of your knee puck sliding along the asphalt with your head about a foot and a half from the ground at 60+ mph raises the hair on my neck and arms and gets the adrenaline pumping much more than a wheelie ever would...

·
Chronicles of a Squid
140 Posts
It funny I been trying to wheelie for the past year or so and can't even get a inch and I got tentacles, testicles too. I remember this chick that use to lick em ............. wait a minute ..Whoa.. let me get back to the topic :). Anyways, I tried powerup, no lift. I tried clutch up, something mental, won't dump it past 8000 rpm. Someone explain what I am doing wrong. Is it my weight (200+ lbs). By the way 04 R6 stock

Oh yea, the R6 does seems more built for leans. Never got my knee down (don't own sliders) but I had some heart pounders on some blind curves doing at least 60+ mph. Never took the curves at speed again. Either I lost my balls or I smarten up. Something about sliding into on coming traffic that you can't see ........ I don't know

·
Registered
228 Posts
Twisties are nice, but try the track, nothing better then draggin your knee, hearing your R6 screaming away at 15k, head a foot and a half off the ground and going upwards of 90 mph (at full lean, depending on the corner)... plus its safer and you cant get busted by the cops. But yeah, if you can't wheelie, then pride yourself on just being a better rider. I cant really wheelie that well, but I dont care, cause its all about that corner speed.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I first wheelie the bike practicing take offs. I would gas harder and drop the clutch faster after each run, eventually I got to a point where I am trying to hold the front down. Now, I know exactly how much it takes to get the bike up. It was fun at first, but it actually limits your acceleration.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Learn to power wheelie in first gear before you start clutching up.

To power wheelie, accelerate (in 1st) till about 8K rpm. Then lift all the throttle slightly, and I mean SLIGHTLY, enough so that you take the load off the rear wheel. You're only going to do it for a VERY split second tho.

Then just as quickly as you lifted off, CRACK the throttle hard. The chances of you looping the bike are very low, so don't be afraid to crack it. It'll come up and then just hold the throttle on. Start slow and just get used to the sensation of hte front wheel coming up. Then hold the throttle on longer as you get more comfortable.

The problem with power wheelies is you spend most of your RPM range just getting the wheel up and don't have much to carry it.

Once you're comfortable with power wheelies, then move up to 2nd gear clutch wheelies.

I agree though, twisties are MUCH more fun than wheelies.

·
Registered
9 Posts
twisties are tons of fun but so are wheelies, that being said, power wheelies are just not the right way to go about doing it. clutch it up! i hear a lot of people complain saying the new bike is too hard to wheelie, or somethings wrong with it, just clutch it up. preferably in a controlled environment also...

the new bikes are tricky cause of the new motor position, the balance point is a lot higher, but it's there!

cliff notes: go to a big industrial lot, practice clutching it up, start with light throttle wherever you feel comfortable, a little more gas every time and cover the brake. you'll get it eventually.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts