R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just curious. What riding tip have you gotten from a friend, or coach, that just didn't make sense or fit you?

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
You can warm up your tires by doing a burnout....I literally laughed till I almost puked

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
a few gems i have heard over the years:
-brake till you see God.
-when in doubt, gas it. (this may work in some circumstances, but not always)
-anyone that trys to give advice for beginning riders on "how to back it in"
-"run it to the redline, it makes more HP that way..."
-you have to use full synth oil if you race.
-new riders need more HP (or bigger bike) so you can go faster at the track (for street this is good advice i suppose for experienced riders).

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
burn rubber not your soul

·
Registered
164 Posts
"You slow down faster by doing a stoppie"

"It takes less distance to stop the bike using the front brake alone than it does using both brakes together"

And the worst:

"If you want to keep up with everybody you've gotta have a 1000" :asshat

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
"swivel your hips more around the tank" :wtf hahaha... That swivel thing really make me laugh.. I saw a guy twisted so bad on his bike once that his knee was up by his front tire!!

And 600f3rider :umm You are supposed to be on the throttle coming out of the turns.

·
aka The O'Reilly Factor
1,595 Posts
Varg05R6 said:
"It takes less distance to stop the bike using the front brake alone than it does using both brakes together"
i dont know why you would say thats the worst tip youve ever been given because its actually true. at full braking, the rear wheel should basically be tapping the ground/slightly off, so using the rear brake wouldnt do anything :thumbup

·
Registered
124 Posts
"get a srad" on that 900 and dont forget the "studda box".

·
Registered
164 Posts
"i dont know why you would say thats the worst tip youve ever been given because its actually true. at full braking, the rear wheel should basically be tapping the ground/slightly off, so using the rear brake wouldnt do anything "

I know there is much debate over this...when i did my advanced rider training it was demonstrated to me and two other very sceptical riders the difference it makes. When you think about it the braking force will always be greater with two brakes dragging than with one. The trick to it is to have (as you have said) the rear wheel just touching enough to offer some braking.

Try it sometime. I didn't believe it until I was shown and then tried repeatedly to better my own distances just using the front brake. I couldn't do it -and neither could anyone else on the course.

I don't think this is a track braking technique...it was taught to us as the fastest way to stop a bike in an emergency braking situation.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Thrak said:
"swivel your hips more around the tank" :wtf hahaha... That swivel thing really make me laugh.. I saw a guy twisted so bad on his bike once that his knee was up by his front tire!!
And 600f3rider :umm You are supposed to be on the throttle coming out of the turns.
Oh man!!!! That is TOO FUNNY!!!!!:spit

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Varg05R6 said:
"You slow down faster by doing a stoppie"

And the worst:

:asshat

THats funny you mention that. "If you want to keep up with everybody you've gotta have a 1000"

lol. My buddy rides a 05 R1 and he is always behind me. Beind every one actually.
Thats the most silly thing I have ever heard.

·
aka The O'Reilly Factor
1,595 Posts
Varg05R6 said:
"i dont know why you would say thats the worst tip youve ever been given because its actually true. at full braking, the rear wheel should basically be tapping the ground/slightly off, so using the rear brake wouldnt do anything "

I know there is much debate over this...when i did my advanced rider training it was demonstrated to me and two other very sceptical riders the difference it makes. When you think about it the braking force will always be greater with two brakes dragging than with one. The trick to it is to have (as you have said) the rear wheel just touching enough to offer some braking.

Try it sometime. I didn't believe it until I was shown and then tried repeatedly to better my own distances just using the front brake. I couldn't do it -and neither could anyone else on the course.

I don't think this is a track braking technique...it was taught to us as the fastest way to stop a bike in an emergency braking situation.
for the audience that the MSF course is intended to educate, using both brakes WILL stop you faster. in actuality, the rear brake wont do anything under full braking.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts