R6 Message Net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll try to keep it short. Basically, the R6 is my main mode of transportation for the time being.
I'm heading back to college in Jan. and I was wondering what's the best way to carry all my luggage? I carry a backpack around so that will take care of some books as well an extra shirt or something.

But what I'm wondering is what luggage carrier is out there for the R6?I *might* carry a chain in there or something for security, but I needed more space.

This is only 3 times a week (MWF) so I won't need it everywhere I go. I've seen some bags you can put on he back seat but I'm not sure how much that will hold. Are there any saddle bags? As ridiculous as they will look on a sports bike I might need to use them to store a chain or other misc items I need for school.

Anyway, I'm sure you guys get the picture of what I'm trying to do. Open to suggestions... and yes, I am in the process of fixing my car :thumbup

·
Registered
438 Posts
I used a luggage locker. It fit perfectly on the backseat, and it could hold a lot. I wouldn't haul dumbells around, but some books and stuff shouldn't be a problem.

This is the one that I used:
http://www.luggagelocker.com/luggage-elite-seat-sak.htm

You could also get a tank bag for additional storage... but it would probably be a pain in the ass to carry a backpack, seat sak, tank bag, and a helmet around all day.

Really for school, I just put on a back pack, and didn't bother with the seat sak. I only used the seat sak when I was doing some serious riding, because I find it uncomfortable having a back pack on all day... plus it's really hot in the summer.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
40 + looks and one reply :(

The seat sak looks like a good deal. I'm only taking about 4 classes so the books should be minimal (I hope). I'd pretty much carry the books and whatnot in the back and then load them up into my backpack when I get to school for easy carrying. Plus, I'd need a place to store my chain and disklock.

Think that would be big enough to carry books, chain, lock, and some extra clothes (shirt and pants)? I'd be going to work right after school so I'd need to change.

The elite one seems best but not to sure whether there's a difference in the zip pack or seat sak. Which is better in your opinion?

Also, I was considering thse but not sure how they'd hold up. What you think?
Teknic Saddlebag Speedstar
Teknic Saddlebag Deluxe
Joe Rocket Velocity Saddle Bag

Maybe this would look weird? Whatcha think?

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
i don't think it's surprising to find that out of 40+ people only one has experience carrying luggage on their sportbike. i, personally, do not either but i know in addition to the saddle bags you have posted, and the backpack you are wearing, there are a number of magnetic tank-bags you could try and with the combo you'd be carrying a handsome load on bike not otherwise capable of carrying much more than toolkit and paperwork. good luck

·
will ride for mods
1,625 Posts
I use a camel back - back pack. works well and keeps you hydrated plus you can pick it up for like 30-60 depending on size

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
just get a short enough chain that will fit into the trunk. i have a noose type chain which fits nicely into the trunk including the lock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
a buddy and i rode cross country and back (7500 mi) with joe rocket magnetic tank bags and backpacks bungeed to rearseats. it was pretty easy, like someone already said though, its a pain in the ass carrying around a helmet, tank bag and backpack everywhere you go off the bike. that being said, just about all the large tank bags sold will fit fine on an R6. some bags expand to hold more.

·
Registered
165 Posts
in the chase car

·
Captain Awesome
1,999 Posts
i have gone with saddle bags (nelson riggs i think) a backpack (REI makes a good one) tank bag, bag (or helmet) strapped to the rear seat and big double joe rocket tank bag.

ps... you can fit the 6ft new york chain in your trunk WITH the tool set if you are smart about it.

that was for a trip i was takin but you can def. load up the 6.

a few words to teh wise if you are goin long distance...

if you put anything on the passenger seat, try to keep it as far back as possible so it doesnt push you forward into the tank. and adjust your preset on your shock about 1 click for every extra 40-50 lbs you put on your tail section.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
i just use my roots back pack, its nice about once your carry a heavy load for over an hour or so, it starts to hurt, thats when i loosen the straps and let the back pack sit on my rear passenger seat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts