R6 Message Net banner

whats the best gearing for an 07 r6?

15K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Tedder cbr 
#1 ·
wanting to change gearing from stock to try and get rid of sluggish low end. any suggestions?
so far im running a bmc race filter. power commander. tuner mid pipe and stock exhaust pipe which i soon hope to change.

#2 ·
gearing

First, this should cost about 200-250. Go one tooth larger on the rear or go two larger on the rear. (if you change the front, throw off speedo and odometer) One will give it more drivability around town, so will going two but you will lose top end with two (maybe 10mph).

Second, convert to a 520 chain (recommend D.I.D. racing, which is "gold"). Make sure you get a long enough chain for larger sprocket. Going to a lighter chain reduces weight, thus reducing unsprung weight.

Third, you will have to replace both front and rear sprockets to take the 520 chain. Keep front stock tooth size and keep it steel. Recommend going with a DRIVEN(name of company) or AFAM(name of company).

Good luck

#4 ·
If you are wanting to get rid of the sluggish low end, then you DO want to change the front sprocket. Go with the 520 quick acceleration kit! you can get it from www.motosport.com for about $170-$175. You need to get the RK GXW520 chain and a Vortex 520 front sprocket -1 in the front and a Vortex 520 rear sprocket +2 in the rear! And you will lose some top end speed but unless you run wide open at 170-180 all the time you will never notice it!

And another thing will help you out tremendously, is to get that stock can off as soon as you can since you are running a power commander already. With the stock can a power commander is pretty much useless! Once you get a good pipe on the bike take it to your local shop that has a dyno and have them put a tune your bike and put a custom map on your power commander for all your goodies you've installed!:2cents

#5 ·
From what i hear afram spockets are the best with vortek breaking teeth with they aren't treated with that pe shit. I am guess that afram spocket have the best treatment for the alu metal to make them last longer. and I would stay with stock gearing in front and go big in back-seems to be easy-er on the chain-newer bikes were geared more higher than older bikes-not really that gre:blahblahbat a idea,

#6 ·
gearing

The way sprockets work, for every 1 tooth in the front, equals about 2 teeth in the rear. So, going down 1 in the front plus going up to in the rear, it would be like going up 4-5 in the rear. Way too much unless doing wheelies is your goal. D.I.D., RK, Tsubaki and Regina are all good chains. Vortex sprockets are good but wear fast. There is one called Tri-metal that is also good. Changing the front will affect the drive shaft directly, and possibly your transmission. Actually, keep the front stock,(change though for a 520) try a rear with plus one, see how you like it, if you still need more, try a rear with plus two. It really is all about rider preference. just have to find what works best for you. Oh, if you do change out exhausts, do it right. Do a full system with a Power Commander(get the new PC 5), high flow air filter and ignition modual. A slip on, while getting ride of about 7-8lbs will only get about 2-4 hp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.