R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the first bike you used for track days, and what did you think about it? I'm looking to get started, and i'd love to buy a track-ready R6, but i know i might not beable to afford much more than at old gsxr or honda.
anyways, just curious what you guys started on.

·
Woody Racing #409
1,311 Posts
my first and current trackbike is an 02 F4i
good bike reliable, fun, easy to work on but a little down on HP
I'd rather have a newer bike but the F4i is fine for now plus I've put so much money into it for suspension etc I can't afford anything else

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
i sold my r6 for a sv650. pretty happy with it. lacks much character but it is relatively cheap and keeps me out of too much trouble. i think my next track bike will be an aprilia rs250 if i can find one that pleases me

·
Registered
361 Posts
I rode my R1 and 636 on the track a few times but when I decided to be serious about it I bought a race-prepped R6. I bought it for $3,400 and sold it for $2,800 and it had a ton of parts. You should be able to find a good race ready 600 or SV for less than $4,000 easily.

·
Registered
504 Posts
my first trackday-only bike was a '94 cbr600f, which didn't even start when i bought it.
if it's for trackdays only there's no problem in having an old/slow bike, because it's just for fun, no competition involved. i only got the R6 (which was after the cbr600) because i want to do some races and the '94 cbr didn't fit in any class (too old for new bike classes post-95, too new for old bike classes pre-88). and it also wasn't very competitive, but it's easy/cheap to get parts for it. around here we don't have the sv650 championship so i don't know how it goes, but if there are plenty of those over there, go for it, you won't regret, and in the worst case you'll stick with it for a year or so and then upgrade to a 4cilinder 600cc :thumbup

good luck

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
my first trackbike was my r6.

·
Registered
800 Posts
First time on the track I was on my R6. Now that I race I ride an SV650. You can find them cheap, tis the season.

·
99 R6 + 04 R1 = Trouble
606 Posts
My first is my R6 and I'm currently working on getting it setup even better for the track (aren't we all?).

As stated, you should be able to find a race prepped R6 for $3k or so if that is the route you want to go.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
1992 GS500 :rockon

Man that thing is such a blast to ride... I would go around SV's in the corners, then they'd KILLL me on the straights hehe. (the GS has like 40hp, if I'm lucky :lol)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I bought an '01 R6 fully prepped (and precrashed, extensively) to start with. I bought it for $2900, and sold it for $3k. I raced it in 16 sprints, sold it midseason.

I now race a 636, and am happier - not because the R6 is inherently a bad bike (it isn't), but because the new bike is straight and has enough HP for fat old me. Now, it's not the bike, but the rider ;)

I'd buy another R6 someday.

·
2008 Triumph 675
7,056 Posts
warmseth said:
i sold my r6 for a sv650. pretty happy with it. lacks much character but it is relatively cheap and keeps me out of too much trouble. i think my next track bike will be an aprilia rs250 if i can find one that pleases me
Hey Seth, I'm seeing a crapload of RS250's for sale right now. One for $3500 that is a 99 and one for $4500 that is an 02.

As for my first track bike back in 02 - A 1996 Honder F2/F3 hybrid that was ZRacer196's first.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My first bike, Jason Primore's Attack Performance Suzuki, an '01 GSX-R 600, was afraid of hurting the bodywork for resell, so I bought the silver and orange bodywork and tank off Ebay.

2nd Bike 03 SV650 bought to endurance race with racerx from this board but new job prevented it and a nice crash in turn 3 at Summit convinced us to sell her.

Next was an '03 R6, once again too pretty of paint so I removed it and sold it and put a one color sliver paint job on a new set of sharkskinz.

The I retained sponsorship from www.absolutecycleperformance.com and they painted the bike again, I couldn't attach more then five attachments so look below.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Z-man's bikes part 2

The most recent '03 R6 photo and a spy shot of the 2006 R6 to come!!!

Lots of paint 3 bikes with the fourth on the way!!!!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts