R6 Message Net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
To the Track Stat!!!
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, does anyone know whats the mininal amount of wattage need to run a set of tire warmers? I was looking to to buy a portable generator soon, and I don't know what size generator to get. I'll probably be running a set of tire warmers and a medium size fan? I was thinking perhaps a 1200W of a 2200W system, is that sufficient?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Depends on the brand of warmers you're using. ChickenHawk for example, draws 600W on both their front and rear warmers, so you'll want something that puts out at least 1,200W. You'll probably want to pick something up that puts out at least another 400-500W since you probably don't want to hear that generator running at full load all day long.

·
2008 Triumph 675
7,056 Posts
Honda EU2000i or something equivalent. I can run two sets of warmers on it, but it's at full load when I do that.

I've also run a full size refridge, house lights, 2 TV's, DVD players and a Sony Playstation 2 on it during Hurricane Ivan. 2000 watts, minimum!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I recently picked up a 2kW surge (I figue about 1.6KW constant) for under $200. Its loud as shit but does the job. i figure I will use it next season and then step up to a better generator later.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Those Honda 'jennies aren't cheap but I see them everywhere on race weekends. Worth the money based on my inquiries around the paddock. :up:

·
Registered
394 Posts
I use a 10kw diesel genset. Then again it's running my tire warmers and a 42' motorhome.....:)

·
Slow Track Addict
130 Posts
Firetire said:
How much are those hondas? I've seen them and I'm impressed. They are very quiet too.

The Honda EU2000i generators run about 950.00 - 1100.00 if bought in the store. I've seen a few auctions on ebay selling them new for around 850.00. You could look to buy a used one, but they still seem to sell for a lot of $$$.

·
Registered
373 Posts
what ever you do, invest in a good generator that isn't LOUD. It will be that one person that has that thing cranked all night and has to run a 200ft. extension cord and leave the gen. in the woods because everyone complaining. I have one in the motorhome as well, but I do carry a smaller 2000w one just incase of red flags or something that I need juice on the grid. A good generator is an investment, they don't lose value and they will last a lifetime. The hondas are retard proof as well. They have low oil auto shutoffs and stuff like that. The
2000w is around 1k

·
To the Track Stat!!!
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So its safe to say I'll need at leat 2000W or more just power a set of warmers and a few other things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts