R6 Message Net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

What's up guys?

Took the bike out on a wet day and stored it away for a month or two and now that springs rolling around I was looking around the bike to make sure it's good for riding and caught this noise when I was spinning the front tire while it was up on the lift.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Without getting a specific direction of the sound in person I'd guess it might be the brakes. Sometimes dirt/dust can get in there or if you ride in high moisture (rain/humidity) conditions surface corrosion/oxidation can develop on the pads or rotors causing that sound. The other obvious choice might be the wheel bearing but you would've probably heard that the last time you rode. Hope that helps...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree with 757pilot. I would say it’s just the brake pads ever so slightly rubbing on the rotors. Try applying just the slightest amount of brake pressure as you are spinning it and see if the noise changes. If it is the brakes it shouldn’t be a problem.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Without getting a specific direction of the sound in person I'd guess it might be the brakes. Sometimes dirt/dust can get in there or if you ride in high moisture (rain/humidity) conditions surface corrosion/oxidation can develop on the pads or rotors causing that sound. The other obvious choice might be the wheel bearing but you would've probably heard that the last time you rode. Hope that helps...
Yes, you're right. As I was taking apart the brake calipers from the rotors omw to check the wheel bearings I thought I'd give it a spin to see if the noise was still there and it was gone. I bought some brake cleaner. But I was wondering, i have some yamalube silicone and lubricant spray and yamalube grease, should I apply either one of these anywhere while I got the calipers off?

Also, any tips on preventing this in the future?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts