R6 Message Net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There were a ton of posts on here about people buying them. Just hoping to get some people's feedback on performance of the helmet? (noise, comfort, etc) I know $800 was overpriced, but you kind of wonder when the price cuts in half or more if there is an underlying issue. Like maybe it just doesn't hold up. I've heard of some people with carbon frame sliders that shattered into shards. Will this happen with this lid?

·
Registered
329 Posts
blown9746 said:
There were a ton of posts on here about people buying them. Just hoping to get some people's feedback on performance of the helmet? (noise, comfort, etc) I know $800 was overpriced, but you kind of wonder when the price cuts in half or more if there is an underlying issue. Like maybe it just doesn't hold up. I've heard of some people with carbon frame sliders that shattered into shards. Will this happen with this lid?

The company was releasing new models and put it on close-out.

·
Registered
693 Posts
TZRaceR6 said:
^^^ The entire helmet isn't made from CF. The EPS liner is what absorbs the impact and saves your melon, not the shell. The shell, whether it be kevlar, fiberglass or CF is simply the hard part of the helmet.
Yeah but CF is brittle and shatters on impact. Those shards could possibly penetrate the EPS liner. That was my concern when I saw that lid.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Bobby said:
Yeah but CF is brittle and shatters on impact. Those shards could possibly penetrate the EPS liner. That was my concern when I saw that lid.
You should read the Nov 2005 issues of Motocyclist. Specifically the "Blowing the Lid Off Part Deux". Here's some excerpts. I cut out the non-essential (to my point) stuff. This topic came up before when these helmets went on clearance:

"Andrew Mellor now works for the FIA Institute...the car equvalent of the FIM. His research...led to an FIA specification...for a Super Helmet. It's intended for...very high-speed formula car drivers...The spec calls for some very high-energy testing, with strict G limits imparted to the head. It requires a high level of impact protection, and difficult penetration tests, because of the likelihood of flying suspension wishbones, tire chunks and other automotive jetsam in a 200-plus-mph megacrash...TO MEET THE SPECIFICATION, A MANUFACTURER HAS TO USE A STIFF, LIGHT OUTER SHELL, ONE MADE OF THE MOST ADVANCED, AEROSPACE-SPEC CARBON FIBER...the very stiff outer shell distributes the force of an impact--even a sharp, localized impact, like that from a rool bar or curb--over a very large area of EPS...If you know you're going to use up a high percentage of the EPS, by making the shell super-stiff you can afford to make the EPS softer..."

The point is that the use of super-stiff carbon fiber material is reported to be actually better.

In terms of the "shards" coming through the EPS, the Vemar Carbon meets the ECE 22.05 European standard. If these helmets were cutting through crash victims skulls due to the carbon fiber being brittle and shattering, somehow I doubt they'd make the ECE cut.

That's just my :2cents

BLOWN: Here is a little review I put together. I haven't (and hope I never do) crash tested it but so far this is an awesome helmet :thumbup

http://r6messagenet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63454&highlight=Blue+Chrome

1 - 6 of 6 Posts