R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
my other hobby
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.buildings.com/Articles/detailBuildings.asp?ArticleID=2797

http://www.physicscentral.com/action/action-01-4d.html

just a few sites pertaining to HID's, since i know many of us are considering HID's in our R6's. i've ran 6500K, 5000K, and 4300K HIDs in the past. IMO anything above 5000k is just not that bright and kinda annoying. once you go over 6000 kelvins, the light output starts to resemble those cheap knock-off bulbs at walmart... altough they are still HID brightness. from these articles, it seems that 5000k is the closest to natural sunlight...in relation to the human eye.

HTH
:2cents

·
Registered
558 Posts
i just installed an hid system in my bike and went with 4300k for the low beam and 3500k for the high beam. freakin fantastic! in fact, if i had to do it all over again i'd probably go with 3500k for both.

the 3500k is extremely yellow and achieves it with gas/halide combo instead of a film on the glass. the color is similar to lemans gt cars or fog lights but they still have that hid effect where EVERYTHING seems to show up better. anyone using the higher k bulbs is missing out!

·
Registered
170 Posts
chiromikey said:
i just installed an hid system in my bike and went with 4300k for the low beam and 3500k for the high beam. freakin fantastic! in fact, if i had to do it all over again i'd probably go with 3500k for both.

the 3500k is extremely yellow and achieves it with gas/halide combo instead of a film on the glass. the color is similar to lemans gt cars or fog lights but they still have that hid effect where EVERYTHING seems to show up better. anyone using the higher k bulbs is missing out!
Got any pics??
Post em' whenever you get the chance

·
my other hobby
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spoolingbyu said:
That would be the 6000k. Good choice you wont be disappointed.
too bad there isn't a 5000 available. thats the perfect hue.

·
Registered
558 Posts
there is a 5000k available through proxenon. i like the pure white also (that's why i have it for low beam) but when it comes to visibility (both from my standpoint and other drivers seeing me) yellow is better. if i wanted bluer i'd go pay $5 for some lame tinted bulbs.

btw, there's no yellowish about it...it IS yellow. no confusing it with halogen either.

·
Registered
558 Posts
HaPPy said:
Got any pics??
Post em' whenever you get the chance
here are some quick (crapy) pics although they don't do justice to the improvment. and the yellow high beam puts out an absolutely incredible amount of useable light for a single beam.

Attachments

·
my other hobby
714 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
THANKS FOR THE PICS! i 've actually thought about getting 3000k HID's for both lamps... i know they put out tons of light and the yellow is kinda cool IMO. the only thing that holds me back are the popos. ya think i'd get much attention from the police?

·
Registered
87 Posts
not sure about your state, but here in texas, yellow and white are the only acceptable colors for headlights according to texas motorcycle laws. we see every color of the rainbow around here, but those are the only 2 legal colors. BTW, I really like the yellow, so i looked it up to see if it was cool with the man, and the man says yes!

·
Registered
558 Posts
if you're going to catch trouble from the popo it won't be becuase of yellow lights. as mentioned (and the last time i checked) yellow and white are the only legally allowed color for headlights in every state. there are so many vehicles that come equiped with yellow fog lights (which can be considered as headlights) that i doubt any states could have changed the laws regarding it.

when on backroads the yellow hid illuminates so well that when i have to switch back to lowbeam it seems like i'm not even driving with the an hid anymore...and the lowbeam is putting out 3x more light than it did with a standard bulb. it may not "look as cool" with the yellow highbeam but i'll never go back and when this lowbeam wears out i'll probably switch that to 3500k as well.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Here's a shot of my lights against the garage door - 2004 R6, stock projectors with a Phillips HID conversion kit (4300k bulbs)

chiromikey, what kind of ballasts are you running and where did you manage to fit both your ballasts? I was only able to fit the one under the windscreen so I haven't hooked up the highs yet.

·
Registered
558 Posts
rice_smuggler said:
chiromikey, what kind of ballasts are you running and where did you manage to fit both your ballasts? I was only able to fit the one under the windscreen so I haven't hooked up the highs yet.
i've got hella ballasts and i could post a picture of where i mounted them but it wouldn't help you with the r6...i'm not riding an r6 anymore.

·
Registered
222 Posts
how much do they cost? is it just the bulb that you have to replace?
i thought they cost a but load, is there any thing you can do to get more light for, say under $40?

·
Registered
558 Posts
to switch to a true hid system you'll need re-based hid bulbs, ballasts, relays, and additional wiring. systems run anywhere from $200 on up. name brands for ballasts and bulbs are important as there is a lot of crap on the market now.

for under $40 you're looking at a bulb replacement only and you won't get anywhere near the light output of an hid system. for a simple bulb swap, sylvania silverstars are as good as it gets without the risk of frying your wiring harness or plastic housing/lenses like increased wattage bulbs would.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i just started lookin for those sylvania silverstars. does anybody know what kind (ID #) would fit an 01 R6??
PLEASE HELP, i think they have those for EVERYTHING!

·
Registered
533 Posts
hi

I have just got but not fitted yet a set of HID's for my 2001 R6.
They were a little more expensive as the older bike uses H4 headlamp bulbs so the HID conversion needs bot low and high beam.
I have got the 8000 lux ones with a blue tint. I got them through work at cost so they were £300

They come with a couple of bulbs and the req relays and control unit.

Surfshag

1 - 20 of 29 Posts