R6 Message Net banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Spittin' the hot fire!
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im thinking of upgrading to an R1. Before you guys chew my head off, listen. I Ride over 2000 miles a month getting back and forth to work. I put 30K miles on my 06R6. My next service is due and this is what I need...New clutch, new levers, tune up, checking my valves again, new tires and have to tighten my chain. About $1000 at my local dealership. The guys at the shop say I should just trade it in for an R1. They say it would last me longer.Any pros or cons? please help

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
i dont know about lasting longer you are still going to run into the same maintenance you are going in for now.

iv thought about getting a 1000 for the street and my 600 to throw around at the track. but all i know is you better have one smooth throttle control.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Good luck dude. I've tried the R1, owned 1 litre bike - my cbr 954. With that said, I find that litre bikes are easy to become complacent on especially as a daily commuter when you'll only use like 5% of it's capabilities.

You might also find your maintenance bills will increase - it's only natural, and that's not just tires.

I personally think no one has enough experience to ride a litre bike until they've ridden one. Every day you ride you get closer to it, so press on, get it if you want it, be cool, and don't forget that it's not a six when you're rolling on throttle.

·
Spittin' the hot fire!
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So you guys say if I go bigger im gonna pay bigger and need to act bigger. Thanks for your input, I still have alot to think about and your comments have helpped. Thanks

·
black is the fastest
270 Posts
30k of riding then im sure your fine to hop on a liter bike
tires are the biggest area where you pay more the other general maintenance is about the same

theres alot less of a jump then most people think.
things that will change....
you need to be smoother on the throttle especially exiting corners
the bike is heavier so it will be harder to throw around....gets easier as you ride it
more tire which is awesome
braking is not quite as good because the bike weighs more.....depends on which 600 and which 1000

get one and ride only you will know which one you will like more
they are generally the same for commuting except no need to downshift to pass people

i find that liters sit more agressive and not really a bike i like to commute on

·
Spittin' the hot fire!
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So you say its easier to ride in traffic but the track might be a little diffrent? and the only thing more expensive is the actual bike and the tires? and my back might hurt a lil because i might have to lean over the tank a little bit more? Thanks for the info and Im still thinkin about it

·
Registered
906 Posts
So you say its easier to ride in traffic but the track might be a little diffrent? and the only thing more expensive is the actual bike and the tires? and my back might hurt a lil because i might have to lean over the tank a little bit more? Thanks for the info and Im still thinkin about it
I went from an 02 R6 to an 2004 R1.

I put over 30 K miles on the R6 and loved every minute of it.

I decided to get an R1 after wanting one for a long time.

The main difference is...you guessed it...POWER.

It is a tad bit heavier (but you get used to this in a few days and don't even notice it).

PRO's of Liter Bike (R1).
1). More power. You don't have to wind the shit out of it to get moving fast.

2). More comfortable (just my opinion though).

3). Very stable

Cons of Liter Bike (R1)
1) Doesn't handle as well as a R6 due to more rotating mass.

2) Unforgiving. You give it too much gas in the turns and it will get pissy. Give it too much out of the turn and it will shake its head at you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts