R6 Message Net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced rubber hoses for SS brake lines... I am having a problem getting the brake pressure back to normal. I have been using a mityvac brake bleeding kit thus far. The how to section does not have pics of the brake line install so if any mechanically inclined fellows/gals could offer some advice for troubleshooting, I would be most appreciative. What areas would I check to see if air is leaking into the system? I didn’t find any noticeable fluid leaks…:help

I am currently stationed in Italy and I speak little Italian so taking my bike to a shop is a pain.

PICS WOULD BE GREAT

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I don't have any pressure at all. I rolled my bike manually in the garage and tried to use my brakes to stop with no success. Today I am going to thoroughly clean the bleed screws and place teflon tape around the screws. I read on the mityvac site that it is supposed to make sure no new air enters the system.

I apologize for not clarifying... I don't need pics of the install, I wanted pics of areas to troubleshoot

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
is there any fluid coming out of the lines at the bottom?

It does take quite a bit of work to get it started. Just take your time... bleed one caliper as much as you can first, then go to the next one, then back and forth. It'll come eventually...

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
I havnt installed new lines on a bike, I recently installed a banjo brake light in my rear master cylinder and it took quite a bit of bleeding before I had good rear brake feel, just make sure the resevoir doesnt run low while bleeding. are you bleeding correctly?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the mityvac you place some tubing on the bleed screw and connect the other end to sealed plastic jar/mityvac... Pump the mityvac several times to build a vacuum and open the bleed screw. Brake fluid is forced into the tubing. I made sure to keep the reservoir at least half full to keep air from getting back into the system.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
I have a mityvac... still takes a long time with fresh lines... in fact, I manually bleed it, and use the mityvac to finish them off.

·
Sperm Bank Loan Officer
1,599 Posts
Try bleeding it from the top using the banjo bolt on the master cylinder. Use it like a bleeder, crack bolt, squeeze leaver, tigthen bolt, release lever. I do it this way first on every brake line job weather it be car or bike. It forces fluid in and lets the air out the highest point. If you notice some newer brake line kits come with a double bleed banjo bolt that has a bleeder in it. When you get the hang of it you can bleed a whole system in a matter of minuets with less than one small bottle of brake fluid.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
Did you but the crush washers between the lines?

If you don't visually see any leaks you most likely just have to bleed them.

Sometimes it takes a while before they build up some pressure but keep bleeding them and it'll build up.

I usually use the mity vac at first and finish off with the old fashion way.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts