R6 Message Net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Just signed up today for the forums as I will most likely be getting my first R6 today and believe a good community like this is worth it's weight in gold. I know the FZ1OA forum sure is.

I am trading my 03 FZ1 for an 02 R6 this evening but had a couple of quick questions. I test rode it over the weekend and loved the light wieght and flickability of the bike. I am 6'2" and 260 and it still felt great. The only thing negative about it was a rough idle even after warm and kind of a loose feeling with the steering. I don't know if it is this particular bike, like maybe worn steering head bearings or just the difference in coming off of a really tight and heavier 1000.

Anything special I should look for on it? It has brand new Pilot Road 2's, Ohlin's steering damper, a carbon fiber Two Brothers slip on and some nice CF trim pieces but pretty much stock other than that with 16k miles on it.

Hopefully a carb sync and general tuneup I do any time I buy a bike will cure the idle issue, but not sure about that clapped out feel in the steering.

Rob

Attachments

·
Registered
881 Posts
You going to miss your littre bike grunt. Rough idle could need to have a tune up done. Plugs, possibly a carb sync. Also check 2nd gear those bike where knowen for having issues. I had an 02 and mine was fine. If you do have an issue you can drop a 03 up to 05 and possibly any r6s tranny in.

Welcome to R6MN. I'm a memember on FZ1OA also.
Just keep in mind this board attracts a much younger crowd then the FZ board does, The mods do a good job here. and there is a lot of great info on here.

One thing you want to check to is if the previous owner convered the front tire to a 120/70. Cause Factory was 120/60 if I remember correclty. Most have done it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Edge,

Tranny seemed good from my test ride. Pretty sure I am going to pull the trigger on the trade. The combination of mods he has done to it with the higher risers and custom seat make it the most comfortable 600 i have ever swung a leg over.

Definitely not much torque but that free revving engine is addictive!!!

Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.