R6 Message Net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On July 1st i did my first trackday ever. It was at Mid-Ohio, my local track, and was the coolest thing ive ever done, it was just as sweet as skydiving!!!! draggin knee at 110mph on a stone free safe track is one of the coolest things i have done!! Here is the bike the day b4 i went. I will have pics of the event up soon also!!!!!

I put KRTuned No Cut Sliders, and SME Fork Sliders and swingarm spools/slider combo. Added a few Sidi and TSBR (Toledo SportBike Riders) local bike club stickers.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After the trackday, i DEFINITELY know there is no need to buy a liter bike, as i was smokin em all day long, hahahahahaha... and my first upgrade is going to be brakes, as i found out that stock brakes are ok on the street, but SUCK HAIRY BALLZ on the track. Im startin with stainless lines, then prolly wave rotors. Any suggestions on SS braided lines?

I am sooo very glad i did not lay her down, especially with stock plastics. If i do another trackday, i will either remove all the lower fairings, or just do track plastics. i seen the group buy for 400 plus shipping, HUGE deal, but i cant right now... boo...

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
nice dude! mid ohio is my local track as well i've grown up there every summer since i was 8 working the place. i know the in's and out's like the back of my hand :lol

im getting ready to do my first trackday aug 12 up there and i am already counting down!!

where you able to get some photographers to take your pics? also how easy was it to get a hold of one of them to take your pictures and what was the cost?

i know what you mean with stock brakes mine sucked balls... so over the winter i just got galfer HH 1375 series pads and that in itself was the biggest difference you will feel.

if you want better feel first, start with pads then lines and rotors last. the lines only help with the fade, pads is where its at baby!

this my setup:
-galfer 1375 series HH pad (you want the 1375 series nothing else, took me a while to find them too, talk to todd at calsportbike, he explained the reason why very well or i could just post it up here soon.)
-speigler lines (easy to put on with the rotating head, look it up on sportbiketrackgear.com very good presentation) although there is also nothing wrong with galfer lines.
-stock rotors. :(

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
here it is: very nice guy and good to work with

again its calsportbike.com --only place i was able to find the 1375 series and i wanted to support and thank todd for helping me out so i bought them there.

Question: Galfer or EBC HH pads?
>
> You sold me on the fact that galfer holds its friction longer per say than
> ebc. if it were on a graph the friction line would be horizontal for galfer
> and negative slope for ebc. i just dont have the facts to back it up.
>
> can you help me out on this?

EBC pads have stronger initial bite since their higher copper content means
they build heat faster. But according to THEIR OWN marketing ads, their peak
friction rating is .6u. Galfer is .7u, or roughly 15% higher peak friction,
which means stopping power. However, Galfer uses higher ceramic content in
their sintered mix, meaning the pads cool faster thus they put less thermal
demand on the rotors, so they're more "rotor friendly" than EBC pads. Also,
a difference in feel comes because ceramic builds heat in a more linear
fashion, so some people THINK EBC pads are better, but it's a difference in
FEEL (only initial bite) not in peak performance. Like having a car geared
strong in 1st and 2nd but gets beat in the 1/4 mile, ya know?
>
> O and am i correct in saying that rotors and pads have to be made by the
> same company? For instance you can't get ebc pads with galfer rotors or
> vice versa yes?

It's a very good idea to use rotors and pads from the same company in many
cases, mostly because they only warranty their components to work together.
Makes sense, because they would use THEIR pads to test on their rotors, so
Galfer, EBC, Ferodo, and others, tend to not want to warranty rotors if you
use someone else's pads. And quite right IMO.

> one more question: can you compare the different series of galfer HH pads.
> I know we had discussed this as well between the 1396 series and the 1375
> series and whatever other HH line they have.

The one numbers that matter for you is 1375 versus 1370. 1396 is for offroad
applications basically. So the 1370 and 1375 are both bronze-based ceramic
compound. However the 1375 also adds a ceramic coated backing plate, which
is a heat barrier to lessen thermal bleed through to the caliper pistons and
thus the fluid. Any time you lower the temp of your fluid, the more you stay
away from the dreaded boiling point which causes total fluid degradation. So
this is why the 1375 compound is more expensive, but is much more popular
for track riders and serious sport riders who understand the facts about
braking performance.

Now, to help you understand that I'm not just cheerleading Galfer and
ignoring anything else...understand that I don't always run Galfer pads on
MY OWN bikes. In fact, my Ducati 888SPO has Ferodo XRAC pads on BrakeTech
Axis ductile iron rotors, which is a step UP from the Galfer setup. But the
iron rotors can stand up to the higher thermal demand of the XRAC pads.

And on my track bike, with a Brembo setup and 19x18 radial master cylinder,
I really loved the Galfer 1375HH pads since they complemented the way the
radial master applies a lot of force quickly. I actually tried Vesrah pads
(sort of between Ferodo and Galfer in friction) and they were too abrupt, so
I wanted a more linear feel for predictability in all conditions.

Hope this helps!

Best Regards,

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there is a company with a tent set up for pics!! and there are people there all day long at like every turn, then you get online and find you pix and you can order offline, or pay there and save 5 bux.

its www.splitsecondphoto.net they are there all day long

go there and look thru there archives, the ones from my trackday should be up by tomorrow!!!

if you look, and if you see the july 1st STT Mid-Ohio intermediate, look for the 50th anniversary R6 with a black suit and black ICON helmet!!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
looks like ill be gettin galfer pads and lines then!!! thx for the input man!

BTW, where do you live? im up in oak harbor. directly between sandusky and toledo on the lake (by davis besse, its a nuclear plant)

if your not on any sportbike clubs, you should check out our club, TMCF (Toledo Motorcycle Forums) at www.tmcf.us

family oriented site, no dooshbags baggin on everything you post. its a huge family.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
im in dayton for the summer but most of my year is at columbus on campus at THE ohio state university.

im a part of ohio-riders.net really good group of people with their heads on straight like you said about your site. no douchebags allowed :lol

good choice about pads/lines! you really don't need the rotors yet. id wait til next year on that one, i know ebc just came out with some really high tech rotors for street/track riders. so galfer should or already has come out with the responding rotors if they work like any other normal business with competition.

and i have already signed up for the august 12th trackday.

·
Registered
295 Posts
dude most likely its not your pads that are crappy. At your speed and your lap times and it's also a track day. I don't think you're trying to out brake anyone at any giving corner. It's not racing to there is a curtiously space.

My advice to you is to get SSlines first. Try those out first and then get new brakes. I had problems with galfer so I don't use them anymore. But I like what Spiegler and Goodridge as to offer. As far as pads go. I love the Ferodo XT pads. Also I have heard lots of good things about the SBS pads.

But I would definitely try out new lines first.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.