R6 Message Net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I am new to the site I have been reading a lot of the post here and feel they are very informative. My wife just got me a 2002 R6 for a track day bike for Christmas. It was in a low speed crash so the plastics are shot. But the bike itself is in good condition. I have a few questions on the how to set it up for the track.

1. What is a good brand to get for the rear sets and clip-ons
2. How would the r1 fork conversion benefit me?
3. should I use the street version of the power pilot tires or the race slick version
4. This bike has a choke. Where should it be placed on the clip-on? I know I will not need the light control.
5. What company do you guys suggest I get the race bodywork from?
6. For the oil, I believe its mobile 1 full synthetic?
7. Should I do a 520 conversion? I don’t really want to go up or down a tooth on the sprockets

That’s all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance.

Nick

·
Woody Racing #409
1,311 Posts
1. woodcraft or vortex
2. if you plan to race i would keep the stock forks and just get them revalved/resprung
3. slicks aren't what you need. I don't know about those tires (I use Pirellis). any good dot trackday/street tires should be okay
4. don't know
5. Armour bodies is what i use and is great but do a search on this forum and you'll find tons of revies on everything
6. i'll let somebody else comment on the oil, I'm not an expert on that i just use what is recommended by smarter people
7. 520 conversion will help but isn't extremely important. lighter chain is good but not really noticable but if your using stock chain a x ring chain will be better for racing. you don't have to go up or down on front sprocket if you don't want to but it reallyl depends on which track your near. where are you located?

·
Registered
316 Posts
1. Woodcraft.
2. Respring/revalve your stock forks
3. Power Race DOT tires or Pilot Power tires. Slicks aren't what you need (agreed, AF101t)
4. I used a wire loop off the left side of the frame. Pull it out to start, let it in slowly, it keeps running. Didn't mess with the handlebar mount.
5. Sharkskinz if you plan to race the whole season. Easy to repair.
6. I use Shell Rotella-T Synth, cheap, and it's only in there 200 miles, max.
7. You will need to gear for your track. You will beat the snot out of a chain in 16-24 races, and an aluminum sprocket will wear out faster than you can believe, especially if you go off track into dust. Use the stock or whatever chain is on there at first, unless regearing leaves you too short on the chain, then replace with a DID ERV-2 or ERV-3 (I'm partial to DID, but other nice X-Rings should work ok). AFAM sprockets last longer, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
JUST F'N RIDE IT..:) You have not even been to the track yet? Go and get a few track days under your belt. You can just ride the bike pretty much as-is. I do suggest a decent set of tires. Slicks? No need. I never buy em. Easier to get rid of DOT take offs, and you will not go faster on slicks for a couple years..

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
WOW, Thanks Fellas, I am In White plains New york. I am thinking about pocano east or penguin school in MA. Man I cannot wait for my forst track day. I also have a problem with second gear with that bike. I was thinking about changing the clutch.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well the bike does not have any plastics at the moment so I will PM you (MELK-MAN)on the GodFather Plastics ;-)

·
Woody Racing #409
1,311 Posts
oh yeah man if don't spend too much until you do a trackday
check out NESBA for trackdays theres a control rider named Lenny that helped me out a LOT (hes in NY or NJ)

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have the same bike, i'll tell you what i have.. altough i'm in Europe so it might not be of any use to you, but someone else might read this and take some ideas..
nickxx4360 said:
1. What is a good brand to get for the rear sets and clip-ons <-> Gilles Tooling
2. How would the r1 fork conversion benefit me? <-> Stock
3. should I use the street version of the power pilot tires or the race slick version <-> DOT Race tyres (metzeler racetec, pirelli super dragon corsa pro, bridgeston bt002, etc)
4. This bike has a choke. Where should it be placed on the clip-on? I know I will not need the light control. <-> don't need the choke really, but if you want it it can go on the same place as stock
5. What company do you guys suggest I get the race bodywork from? <-> i got Speed Fiber
6. For the oil, I believe its mobile 1 full synthetic? <-> Silkolene Pro 4 Plus 10W-50
7. Should I do a 520 conversion? I don’t really want to go up or down a tooth on the sprockets <-> I have it, and i would have done it if i didnt have it.
If i were you i'd get the fairings, rearsets and clipons, engine covers/kevlar protections, frame sliders, DOT race tyres, and spend the rest on trackdays.

Good luck

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
nickxx4360 said:
I also have a problem with second gear with that bike. I was thinking about changing the clutch.
:umm What kind of problem.. like it jumps out of 2nd gear when you're on the power?

Thats not the clutch. That might be THIS

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
nickxx4360 said:
Hi everyone. I am new to the site I have been reading a lot of the post here and feel they are very informative. My wife just got me a 2002 R6 for a track day bike for Christmas. It was in a low speed crash so the plastics are shot. But the bike itself is in good condition. I have a few questions on the how to set it up for the track.

1. What is a good brand to get for the rear sets and clip-ons
2. How would the r1 fork conversion benefit me?
3. should I use the street version of the power pilot tires or the race slick version
4. This bike has a choke. Where should it be placed on the clip-on? I know I will not need the light control.
5. What company do you guys suggest I get the race bodywork from?
6. For the oil, I believe its mobile 1 full synthetic?
7. Should I do a 520 conversion? I don’t really want to go up or down a tooth on the sprockets

That’s all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance.

Nick
1. I use woodcraft clip ons and vortex rear sets
2. Keep your stock forks, just get them revalved/resprung
3. If you don't have any experience I'd get a set of Pilot Powers or Diablo corsas to start. They won't heat cycle but still offer a good amount of grip.
4. My choke has a little bracket thats mounted on the fairing stay. I almost never have to use it.
5. It all depends if you want to shop for price or quality.
6. Oil is more personal preference. Check out the oil threads in the tech section. As long as its not energy conserving you'll be ok
7. If you don't plan on re-gearing keep whats on there now until it wears out or you need different gearing.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah it slips out of gear. I will check out the link. Thanks fellas. i got some very good input. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts