Grade Received: D -

Pro's
Price ($1400 brand new)
Easy folding
Relatively lightweight
Easy to use strapdown locations
Easy to Assemble
Easy to use ramp
Dan from motorcycletrailer.com was pleasant and easy to work with.

Cons
Everything else

I purchased the Towblazer as an inexpensive alternative to the Kendon trailer. Now I know why. I purchased the Towblazer from www.motorcycletrailer.com with little ease. If I remember correctly, shipping was $380. I ordered a $60 spare wheel with it.

The trailer arrived on a crate, wrapped in plastic and cardboard. The instructions like everything else wasn't that descriptive, but it wasn't difficult to figure out.

After I assembled the trailer and hooked it up to the truck hitch, problems started to pop up. There was only one safety chain/cable. The state of Florida (as with most states) require two safety chains. More important that that, the lights didn't work. The right brake light illuminated, but the other didn't, and neither turn signals worked. After inspecting clearing the wire of any discrepancies, I removed the trailer light covers to inspect the bulbs. The bulbs themselves seem fine, but the way they are craddled inside is rediculous. They're barely attached and the connection points between bulb and plate face barely exist.

The next problem I noticed was the how bad the wheel chocks were placed on the trailer deck. Both the left and right chocks are canted.

There are through bolts on the trailer that don't work either. The bolt holes don't line up so the through bolt can be placed all the way though.

The trailer has a torsion bar suspension, so it may be the contributing factor to the next problem, a canted wheel. The left wheel is straight up and down, but the right wheel is canted slightly inward.

There are two bolts under the trailer to which the spare wheel is secured. Those are unusable also. When the spare tire is placed under the trailer, the middle frame bar prevents the tire from being mounted flush against the trailer bottom.

This prevents the bolts from going all the way though the spare wheel. The below pic shows the extent at which the bolts will go through....yeah, very useless.

Discussing the problems with Dan from www.motorcycletrailer.com
I call motorcycletrailer.com and speak to Dan (forgot his last name), the manager. I describe all the problems and he asks me to send him pics and descriptions of the discrepancies. He stated that the Towblazer was a new product from China and needed some customer input.

After sending him an email with pics, he calls me back to tell me he sending me a new wiring harness and two new lights. As far as the spare wheel, it cannot be fixed and he was kind enough to refund me the price of the spare wheel as compensation. As far as the second safety cable, he said it isn't required in the State of South Carolina (the state from where it was sold). I told him that it was BS and that he should state it on the web site.

He did give me the option to send it back for full refund but it would have cost me almost $400 to send it back :madcurse

Additional Pics

Notice the ramp (secures to the bottom of the trailer when not in use)

Middle secure points (notice the useless through bolts lower in the pic)

Middle secure points (notice the one and only safety cable to the left)

Trailer Under Tow
When in tow, the trailer w/bikes is very unnoticable. It is very light as expected and seems to be fairly sturdy. There is a problem with the left wheel. The wheel appears to have a slight wobble to it. I haven't determined if it is an illusion caused by the tire tread or if it is in fact a wheel problem. If it is a wheel problem, I suspect that the rim may not be "true", or the hub bearings need to be regreased. I am also still experiencing problems with the lights. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. This trailer only has about 100 miles on it.

Since I purchased the trailer, I was notified from Dan that www.motorcycletrailer.com no longer sells the Towblazer. He stated that shortly after I expressed my problems, his crew put one together themselves and noticed very similar problems.

My recommendation: Spend more money on a trailer that works right the first time.

·
Registered
288 Posts
wow, what a horror story! i would've listed the price of $1400 as a big CON. and i can't believe they didn't even take the time to put one together before selling it to their customers. that's total BS!

·
I will not eat cat poop!
4,370 Posts
Dang, sorry to hear about your luck, Jason.

Question:

What is the purpose of those through-bolts anyways?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They are perfectly positioned right behind the front wheel, so I'm assuming they're used to help keep the front wheel from rolling backwards out of the chock.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
mass production junk. i hate it that people dont take the time to do things right.

-dave

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
thats total bs, id be mad, but at the same time even if its all rigged up and works its okay..you live and learn man. If it doesnt do its job you should cut the guys nuts off.....

·
Registered
288 Posts
i saw this exact same trailer while i was out on my ride today. the guy was driving a hummer, and towing 3 dirt bikes. and just like your trailer, his trailer had the right wheel off camber as well. i guess it's "designed" to be that way!

·
glory to the Hypnotoad!
1,693 Posts
I have a contact who sells these. Very nice trailer too.. you don't need the trailer on the hitch to load or unload.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Man I would contact the Better Buisness Bureau and file a complaint. With those types of problems you should be entitled a full refund. There are some saftey issues with this and if the buisness you bought this from are interested in staying in buisness they should cooperate.

A bad report from the BBB and a possible lawsuit when that thing causes an accident could be detrimental to their company. If you can notice that many problems right off the bat how many are hidden in the rest of the trailer in craftsmanship and structual strength. Obvisouly they dont trust it or they wouldn't have discontinued it. You have alot backing you on this one, Id go for it!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's interesting that you mentioned that :) I already filed a complaint with the BBB. I have only gotten a letter in the mail from the BBB saying they have logged the complaint and it is pending investigation.

·
Registered
273 Posts
demonR6 said:
I have a contact who sells these. Very nice trailer too.. you don't need the trailer on the hitch to load or unload.

I checked these out and they look half way decent but for the price of a double I can get an enclosed trailer locally for the same price. Good find though

·
glory to the Hypnotoad!
1,693 Posts
Yeah, this one runs about $1900 if I am not mistaken. I would prefer covered and if I was able to get a good one for around that price, I would stick to it. I have seen some real shitty covered trailers that were cheap..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Towmaster Trailer

I have heard horror stories about this trailer falling apart. They even tell their customer's to download Kendon's owner's manuals off Kendon's website because it's the same as Kendon's. We have a friend that bought one of these in Atlanta and sold it a week later because he was afraid of towing his bikes on it. If you want reliability and a company that will stand behind its product, buy a Kendon. They were the first and they are the best....there is something to say about being the innovator.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Podium Trailer for motorcycle

I just buy a new trailer from this company few month ago and I really love it. www.pod-ium.com

I bought two trailer from them:
- 1 Cargo Trailer named the Podium LUGG to put behind my VFR 800. This trailer is incredibly light(100 lbs) and so stable on the road due to the independant suspension.
- 1 HT-50 to haul my bike through USA in my different trip. It's a super light trailer with a beautiful design and a half-tilt system that I can use to put my motorcycle on the platform alone.

Just go on the website and you will see: www.pod-ium.com

1 - 20 of 20 Posts