R6 Message Net banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What the highest speed (indicated or clocked) you've obtained on your R6.

Speed: xxx(KPH)

Where: (e.g. Straight at Eastern Creek, Old Pacific Hwy etc)

Weight: (approx for power to weight)

Any special mods done to bike:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hrmmm

245km/h (indicated)

Main straight, Phillip Island

Power / weight is not relevant to top speed... but for the record I'm 76kg

Bike is stock.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: hrmmm

'99 R6 (old bike)

260 something (indicated) flat chat, nothing left in it....

Some road out near Ipswich (lovely straight bit of road with good clear vision....others know the road)

about 100kgs

Leo Vinci Slip on, ex race bike (from what i could work out it had major head work done to it)

'02 R1

272 indicated (there's more in the girl for sure)

On the way for breakfast out Mt Mee way (got smoked by a
'Busa, left me for dead... the bastard!!!)

still about 100kgs

Yoshi RS3 tri oval slip on, otherwise standard. Will get back to you if and when i can afford the ram air modifications (boxr) and pc3-r.

sorry not going to name the roads on a public forum.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hrmmm

zoso 245km main straight phillp island where you just crusing . power /weight is relevant to top speed:banghead eg if you put 100kg on a bike with 100ps and then put 150kg on same bike it will not have the same top speed :banghead :b anghead

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dont tell

potholefiller What do you want to know for ? are you a cop no bike rides should let them know what we all get up to and never tell them where :banghead :b anghead

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh really?

Please do explain how power to weight effects top speed? There must be some new laws of physics recently tabled that I'm not aware of.

Acceleration is effected, sure, but most definitely not top speed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
and..

I must say Eric, for someone with a bike as heavily modified as yours, I would have expected you to know a bit more about the physics under which your machine is bound.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: and..

emakin at the end of the day it's all hearsay. Unless they catch you doing it or have concrete evidence (ie radar or lidar speed gun) then it doesn't matter. There is a guy from Tasmania on the R1 forum with the following picture posted up for any and all to see and there isn't anything anyone can do about it. You can't prove it was his bike or that he was the rider.

BTW this is not faked, but do remember that the speedo is about 10% out....makes a nice background pic though!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
speeds

250ish kph, back straight Darlington Raceway.

280 or so on the same road out near Ipswich as IDroppedit. Probably the same day :)

Both indicated speeds. Absolutely no idea how accurate they are. Both on 96 GSXR750.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: speeds

No...I'm not a cop... god forbid. Lets face it....the cops know all the locations anyway.

I don't need to know specific locations... just wanted to have the speeds put into perspective.

For instance.... my old bike, '93 ZZR600 (Yoshi Slipon), I managed to get to 220klm/hr at Eastern Creek ... but I may have been able to squeeze more out on the open road given a good run.

My R6 ... well the top speed I've managed to get her to so far doesn't even rate (200klm).

Weight plays a part in getting to your top speed (else you run out of road in most occasions). Additionally a 'slimmer' rider can tuck down more efficiently reducing drag. Also if the bike is not set up for the extra weight (rider sag) the bike will not 'sit' properly thus affecting airflow/drag.

Anyway....I'm no physics expert so I may be wrong..... I'm just justifing my questions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Zero, yeah it was the same day.... any idea what speed the TL got up to?

PotholeFiller... no the cops don't know all the locations, that's why i didn't want to name them. The thing about these 2 places is that there is only 1 cop in the area.... and i don't want any more out there looking! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Another thing:-
1/ At what REVS does the REV limiter kick in (does the Aus import version have one)???

2/ Anyone in Aust thrown a con-rod because of high revs but not to the point of redline. I've heard people say 'don't rev over 14,000rpm or else...'

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well...

Pothole - when I'm at the track the bike spends its time between 12 and 15.5K RPM, constantly. Never misses a beat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh really ?

zoso I,m no physics expert but i am sure these laws of physics have not been recently tabled . Top speed is definitely affected , have we for gotten about air drag , as a rider with 150 kg is going to have a lot more of it than a rider with 100kg , this extra air drag will not let the rider get to the same speed . Extra air drag is also going to cause extra lode on the gear box so decreasing power to rear wheel . And let's not forget about the extra weight on the tyres, extra weight increase the rolling resistance it to affecting top speed :banghead
I know , you must have gone to a university , because you seem to know every thing .:hump :hump

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Top speed

Or maybe he's a teenager? :lol :lol :eek:fftopic

Top speed: 40kph on my 70cc Honda trike up my street on the back wheels :woowoo :nutjob :rockon and the chicks loved it. :sexy :lol :lol :hump

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well...

Let's not confuse surface area (which determines wind resistance) with mass. They are two entirely seperate concepts. However, it may indeed be a fair assumption that a 100kg rider has less surface area than a 150kg rider (eg fat bastard) hence lower wind resistance. But this is not a given, and as long as you can tuck in behind the fairing it's not gonna make a difference.

As for load on the gear box (what the?) and rolling resistance (yes I'll agree such a thing does exist) I can assure you both will have a negligible effect on top speed. We're talking like 0.5% here or less. If I could be bothered pulling out one of my old physics textbooks I would find many examples where they specifically discount those effects because they are insignificant.

Power to weight is all about acceleration. On a racetrack it will certainly have an impact on top speed as the lighter rider will - theoretically - be able to exit the final corner before the straight at a higher speed. But in an out and out speed comparison, weight will have no bearing.

QED.

:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK Top speed -KPH and Where

260 km/h {indicated} Main straight Phillip island when 1999 R6 was stock ,265km/h when 2001 R6 modified,have not been yet on 2003 R6.:thumbsup
Phillip island main straight is all about exit speed off turn 12 and is down hill . Also know of at least four ather R6's
that have seen around 260km/h indicated down there :thumbsup
OLD BIKES AT SAME PLACE
269km/h 1998 R1,272km/h 2001 R1,but both R1's had slower lap times :rolleyes

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: OK Top speed -KPH and Where

Like I said
a 'slimmer' rider can tuck down more efficiently reducing drag.
...."drag" being the factor not the actual "weight"

As for "surface area resistance" it is a factor ...if we were measuring 10th's of a second... This can also be mitigated by higher tire pressures (obviously there's an upper limit though)

Let's not get too technical. I just want to see the various performance's out there....keeping them in perpective.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Excellent...

We're back on topic now ;-)

Give me a a break Eric, 245 isn't that bad and it was my first time down at the island! I wonder what sort of error our speedos have at that speed... I'd be intersted in getting a true speed measure.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts