R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
3 qts too much oil for change and filter?

Reason I'm askin: It looks like the oil level is beyond the max and is up to right where the flip part ends. However, after taking out the bike and checking it again the oil looked like it was right at max.

Is the main thing to make sure that the oil is not beyond max when it is cool, or when it is hot?

·
Registered
53 Posts
My 02 generally takes about 2.5 quarters before it's in the mid range of the dip stick. But remember that when you first change your oil, you need to let the engine run for a couple of minutes for the new oil to circulate, then just keep refilling until it's in the mid range.

As far as where it's supposed to be when it's hot or cold... that's a good question but in general, it's not a good idea to have your oil beyond max. I try to keep mine somewhere in the middle.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is it a good idea to remove the drainage bolt to let some oil out and then put it back, or if you going to remove the drainage bolt you need to just let all the oil drain out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i have an 04 r6 and it take about 3.2 to be full u get a better reading when ur engine is worm so if its at max after riding then it prefect

·
Registered
33 Posts
Put it this way. Never hurts to have a little too much oil. Better to have more so the pump can pick it up, if and when you're up on one. It is always a good idea to check the oil once the bike is up to operating temp. This ensures the oil/viscosity levels are at an operating temp which will give you the most accurate reading.

·
Flowing Free
31 Posts
You dont have to remove the drain bolt if you need to lower the level some. I used a siphen hand pump once that would fit in the dipstick hole and got a 1/2 to 1 quart out very quick and clean.

·
www.frontiercycle.com
165 Posts
Whenever I fill my bike, I pour all three quarts in. I do a lot of wheelies though, and when you do, you pull the oil away from the sump a bit. I would always feel safer with my engine running with a little more oil than it needs as opposed to a little less. Remember, your oil pump will only pull so much. If there is more than enough, it will just draw what it needs. If there isn't enough, it can't pull all it should, and your motor doesn't get enough oil.

·
Registered
125 Posts
2.5 qts will put it at the very top of the hatch marks on my 02 r6 ...and that's after being warmed up. 3qts would defenitly be too much (on my bike anyway).

·
Registered
2 Posts
BE CAREFUL, having too much oil in the sump is not a good idea! If you overfill it enough you risk the crankshaft hitting the surface of the oil, and that's bad.

·
www.frontiercycle.com
165 Posts
Ok. So I changed my oil today. I always use a new filter. I drained all the oil. Took of the filter...let the last bit drain out. Then I used maybe an ounce or two as cleanout oil(just enough to get the last old oil to dribble out). Long story short, I poured in 2 quarts, and most of the remainder from that other bottle(cleanout oil bottle...about 30oz left). I poured in close to 24oz of that, and went for a ride. Came home and let the bike sit for a few minutes, and checked the oil level. It was at the bottom on the dipstick. Added the rest of he oil...rode a bit more...checked again. This time, is was about 2mm below the top of the notches on the dipstick. I say to basically run the 3 quarts if you have an 03-05 or the R6s. On the R model, I would run what it says. I don't think that little extra is going to do any harm. But in the end, it is ultimately up to you.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Spec is 2.85 quarts, but putting 3 quarts in wont hurt anything, any more than 3 quarts and you might run into some oil aeration issues.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Spec is 2.85 quarts, but putting 3 quarts in wont hurt anything, any more than 3 quarts and you might run into some oil aeration issues.
According to the Page I have copied out of Yamaha manuals, it calls for 2.75 qts..

3 is overfilled.... Aeration is caused by an oil not having the proper anti-foaming additives.

Overfilling can cause blown seals and oil consumption..

The proper quantity IS in every manual..

The Best isn't cheap
Cheap isn't The Best

Bob

·
Registered
16 Posts
I can't say I agree with some, and do with others. In my professional opinion, too much oil is just as bad as too little. It'll hit the crank counterweights causing air bubbles to form in the oil and subsequent air back into the oil system and components - THIS IS BAD. Too low and it can cavitate the pump and even worse air. I think the best oil level is in the middle. Now to check it properly, you must run the bike until pressure builds after it's changed, to fill the filter and nooks and crannies. Then the dipstick is to be unscrewed, wiped and reinserted but NOT SCREWED IN with the bike perfectly level and upright. It's best to check it cold, atleast 10min after running it. This way the oil can drip from the head and crank back into the cases. You'll find that if you check it right away then again after 10min, it can rise as much as 1/2 litre in some vehicles (this info applies to cars as well).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts