R6 Message Net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding aournd the other day and got a 2" nail in my rear tire. I just got the 2005 R6 a few months ago so I'm still riding stock tires. Anyway, the nail went through the left edge on the top and came out the side of the tire. I removed the nail and I am not losing any air out of the tire. It's really kind of amazing where it was at because it didn't hit anything on my bike eventhough it was sticking out a little on both ends.

At the time I got the nail, I didn't realize what was wrong and I drove home with the nail in the tire with no damage to my bike except the tire obviously. Some of that driving was at highway speeds.

I guess my question is, how safe is it to ride on this rear tire now? The only damage to the tire is a hole from the top of the tire to the side wall. I have ordered some new pilot powers but I know I won't be about to make it that long before riding.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
164 Posts
This happened to me last month. Brand new Pilots, nail through the meat of the tire. Point of entry was one of the grooves in the tyre and it came out through the top of the sidewall. Unlike you I noticed a BIG difference about 0.00001 of a second after it went through.

Took it to the bike shop & they investigated it, the verdict being that if there was no air escaping and due to the angle of the nail the tire was fine. Take it to a shop you trust & ask them.

·
Ma$$hole
181 Posts
Varg05R6 said:
This happened to me last month. Brand new Pilots, nail through the meat of the tire. Point of entry was one of the grooves in the tyre and it came out through the top of the sidewall. Unlike you I noticed a BIG difference about 0.00001 of a second after it went through.

Took it to the bike shop & they investigated it, the verdict being that if there was no air escaping and due to the angle of the nail the tire was fine. Take it to a shop you trust & ask them.
Yeah I'd definetly get it checked to make sure there is no air leakage. I had a very slow leak from something I ran over once, I didn't notice it until I was doing about 90 mph and the air was almost completely gone from my rear tire on a busy highway. I got a lot of vibration, looked down and saw my tire was almost flat, luckily managed to get to the side of the road without crashing... Anyway, you dont want to be in that situation so definetly make sure you dont have a slow leak coming from it :2cents

1 - 4 of 4 Posts