R6 Message Net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 05 R6... went down about a montha go got it back together and all... problem is... i have some vibration in the front.... I've tried playin with tire pressure and even with the suspension settings and i'm pretty sure its either the rim or tire... i've been over perfectly smooth road (and yes I know even sometimes that isnt smooth) but still feels like there are bumps in the road... i can start feeling it around 30mph I believe... I know in a car the balance doesnt effect anything til around 50mph I dont know if that holds true on bikes...

so my question really is... 1) could the rim be a little bent from i guess it would be low siding it? (sliding down the interstate for about 25ft...) or 2) is the tire bad? (it has 2600 miles on it... the stock dunlop junk tire but it still appears to have atleast 60% of the tread left if not more front and back)

or how can i tell which it is? or could it be something else?

·
Registered
403 Posts
The first and easiest thing to do would be to take the tire and wheel to your local bike shop, and have them check the balance, and re-balance it if need be. They can tell you if the wheel is bent (and to a useable degree) better than we can.

After it is balanced properly, toss it back on, and troubleshoot from there.

Wrecking shouldnt have any adverse affect on your tire. Unless of course there is an obvious bubble or chunk out of it.

Also doublecheck all of your work, as loose bolts in the front end could contribute to your problem.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats just it... there are no loose bolts... no visable damage was done to the rim or the tire... and I wouldnt think that sliding the bike woulda bent the tire...

I guess I should just let em balance it... I can see them charging me $50 just to take the rim off the bike, rebalance, and remount... just to find out that its really a bad tire or something... (I don't have a front stand or anything to dismount the rim myself... (and I'm not sure if I trust any of the shops here)

·
554 Posts
just buy a front stand and take it off yourself. Easy as shit and you'll use that stand again and again. A good investment.

·
Registered
403 Posts
post up your location, maybe someone local has one you can use..

have a rear stand? use that and a jack with a chunk of wood under the header.

Have a shop? Use a couple anchors in the rafters and use a come-along or straps hooked to the triples to lift the front.

Have a cherry picker? Lift the front with that.

I guess if there are absolutely no curb marks or rash on the wheel, it is highly unlikely that it is bent.. What all on the bike had rash? Did the forks hit? bar ends?

·
Registered
906 Posts
While your bike was sliding down the interstate; the wheel weight could have hit part of the road and slid on the lip causing it to be OOB.

Or, the weight on the outside could have just flown off altogether.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Deimos said:
While your bike was sliding down the interstate; the wheel weight could have hit part of the road and slid on the lip causing it to be OOB.

Or, the weight on the outside could have just flown off altogether.
the weights are still on the wheel... and there were no scratches on the rim (or chunks outa the tire)...

the parts that were replaced were the bar end, brake lever & master cylinder, upper, mid and lower fairing, oil pump cover, slip on exhaust....

there wasnt a scratch on the rim... but i guess it coulda impacted the tire and hit it hard enough to bend the rim? or cause an deformation in the tire that i dont see? or bend the rim slightly out of balance... i guess the easiest way to proceed is just have the shop check the balance as suggested...

·
Registered
906 Posts
minig0d said:
the weights are still on the wheel... and there were no scratches on the rim (or chunks outa the tire)...

the parts that were replaced were the bar end, brake lever & master cylinder, upper, mid and lower fairing, oil pump cover, slip on exhaust....

there wasnt a scratch on the rim... but i guess it coulda impacted the tire and hit it hard enough to bend the rim? or cause an deformation in the tire that i dont see? or bend the rim slightly out of balance... i guess the easiest way to proceed is just have the shop check the balance as suggested...
A tire can come out of balance on an impact of any sort. Also sometimes the weights can slide without making any marks.

Or the tire could have actually slipped a very small amout on the bead during impact. I wouldnt worry about it too much, just have it balanced and go from there. The rim ]could be bent slightly, but I don't think it is. Worse case senario you would have to buy a used rim. Good luck

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I just had pirelli diablos put on, they said my front forks were so twisted he couldnt get the axle off without untwisting the forks so that coulda been parta the problem... so far feels much better... gotta play with the suspension again... but i think problem solved... total price $330 including mounting (98+130 for the tires from local shop + rest for mount and tax)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts