R6 Message Net banner

Tight Turns

4K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Brandon27 
#1 ·
Hey im new to sport bikes and im having trouble making a tight right and left turn. I am not sure what im doing so wrong and managed to tip the bike a couple times trying. Everytime I try and turn without on a angle or already point in the direction of my turns, my handle bars lock up and I go over. I cant really accelerate after they lock up. Little advice please.

Thanks

#2 ·
Your riding to slow and turning your bars to much.. when they turn to a certain point the tire just kinda of catches if you get what im saying... sportbikes from my experience are not the most sutle slow turning with no lean machines. my sugestion is just put a little lean in with your slow manerving turns it may feel wierd but just be prepared to catch youself.

What i mean the tire catches is that the wheel is almost at a 90 degree angle (not exactly) and you dont have enough momentum to actualy push the tire anymore because the momentum is still going forward and not with the bike

#3 ·
Yea thanks for the reply. I dont have the problem while I have momentum when slowing down to the turn just when I am either moving off from a full stop or out of my drive way. When the bike tips and gets to much on an angle its hard to keep it up. I end up pulling something in my leg trying to hold it up too much or make the attempt. Im not a tall guy but i can touch the ground just fine.

#4 ·
Try giving it a little gas to get it moving straight a little before cranking the turn. It's easier to keep the bike upright if you're rolling. Its hard to keep the bike upright if you turn the bars all the way then try to give gas from a dead stop. Get rolling first... at least a little.

#5 ·
Ya i've noticed that too! As a newbie myself-i recommend getting some momentum before you lean into your turn (even when coming out of the driveway i tend to lean more than turn the wheel) And i have a funky driveway lol. it's just practice and learning what works best between you and your bike i think!

#6 ·
I know you mentioned tight turns but try to make as wide a turn as possible. I had the same problem when I started riding my first bike a few weeks ago. Now when I make tight turns I never have the handle bars turned all the way, I try to get as wide as possible and just keep a little bit of speed/momentum/throttle on to keep me up. Just takes some practice, and keep your feet of the pegs just incase you feel like you are goin over you can try to catch yourself...

I remember the one time I almost dropped the bike but I was set on not dropping my new 08 after spending all that cash to get it so I almost crushed my leg to save it:thumbup But it did not tough the ground. Goodluck.

#7 ·
bit more throttle and exaggerate the counterbalance more than you think and you'll be making those 90 degree right handers at 20 mph sooner than you think. i had a similar issue and once I learned to relax my arms so the handle bars could essentially turn themselves as was necessary with my leaning/counterbalance they became really easy and smooth and my turn radius dropped substantially.

#8 ·
im gonna try all these tips thanks alot. I have built up a fear now of the right turns its hard to attempt it now. so i stop on angle so i have less to turn and I still go a bit wide into the other lane. Also my push steering im not getting enough swerve to avoid bumps and all are you able to really push those bars and get some real angle without having the rear slip out on you?

#10 ·
i think you're counter-balancing wrong, it's more like you stay vertical, use your lower body to lean the bike in the direction you want to turn. most importantly you have to relax your arms! bend your elbows and make sure you're not trying to support yourself on the clip-ons. When you lean the bike, the front tire/clip-on will have a natural tendency to turn the wheel towards the direction of the turn IF you're not stiffening your arms and forcing the wheel straight. This will let the bike turn more smoothly/sharply because the turn is dependent on the lean of the bike AND the angle of the front wheel. So think of your arms as moderating the amount the front tire turns itself, rather than trying to force the bars.

Oh, and don't forget to ACCELERATE slightly through turns! this will help keep you from dumping the bike.

#11 ·
OH OK yea ic I always felt I was doing something wrong and it was driving me nuts. Makes you feel really shitty too and discouraged which can be expected. I will try that and that should correct the problem. So use the lower body to lean the bike and upper keep vertical as the counter balance right.

#13 ·
R6_RIDER2009,
Smashweights has been giving you some great information and it sounds like you guys are really working this problem out. I just have one suggestion to you and everyone else no matter how long you have been riding. It is this book called Proficient Motorcycling. I know, I know it sounds like learning karate from a book, but it's not. The book is really helpful and explains everything in detail of what you are having troubles with. There is no need to buy the book if you can find it at the library, but I would buy it just to have it in my personal library to refer back to if I were you. Anyway, here is a link to Amazon.com and the book. Please enjoy.

http://www.amazon.com/Proficient-Motorcycling-Ultimate-Guide-Riding/dp/1889540536

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.