R6 Message Net banner

121 - 140 of 363 Posts

·
No, hope, left...
534 Posts
And my "butt" doesn't hurt. I own them all. My point is, don't jump on the hype bandwaggon with Mass Effect, it is NOT what people are hoping for. The fact alone that I HAD TO PAUSE the game to perform ALL THE COMMANDS, was enough to ruin it for me... Who in the fuck likes to play a paused game? If you're going to throw in RPG style elements they NEED to be selected and performed IN GAME, NOT WHILE THE GAME IS PAUSED.

:umm

·
Registered
67 Posts
like i said earlier, stick to the pretty games ok? its obvious that's the only thing you know about since even your precious ign says:

9.5 Lasting Appeal
Sure to be a classic RPG that is talked about (and played) for years.

wow, if no one would ever want to play this game, how on earth will it have replay value for YEARS ??

·
No, hope, left...
534 Posts
blablabla said:
like i said earlier, stick to the pretty games ok? its obvious that's the only thing you know about since even your precious ign says:

9.5 Lasting Appeal
Sure to be a classic RPG that is talked about (and played) for years.

wow, if no one would ever want to play this game, how on earth will it have replay value for YEARS ??
Are you just blatently not watching the video's at all?... One more time to answer ALL your questions on each game. Again, see for YOURSELF. And as for Mass's reader reviews, well, I guess people like playing a game that you have to pause to carry out all your commands except fire. That's good in a shooter, but, if you've ever played a game called Jedi Republic, you'll see Mass Effect has ALL the powers the Jedi's had. Force push, Force lift, mentally manip things, etc etc. Jedi Republic carried out all their RPG elements out in game, dunno why they scraped that for a pause the game system for Mass Effect... Again, watch the video's on both games. I want to know what YOU think, after watching BOTH video's... You're right, for ME it was not fun not being able to do shit unless the game was paused. Mass Effect is like a weird RPG whose turn-based system is done while the game is paused. At least in Uncharted I could do everything from Drake's menu while playing the game, swinging the camera around, and shooting all at the same time...

Mass Effect:

http://media.video.ign.com/ev/av.html?dlURL=undefined&object_ID=718963

Uncharted:

http://media.video.ign.com/ev/av.html?dlURL=http://ps3movies.ign.com/ps3/video/article/834/834948/uncharted_review_111307_flvhighwide.flv&object_ID=812550

·
Registered
67 Posts
like i said earlier, ign busts my balls with their buffering but i got to a part that i think says it best.....

"in the end the combat is a bit of a mixed bag. it wont quite please all of the hard core shooter fans, nor will it really please the RPG fans...."

so it sounds to me that it may please MOST of the casual gamers. yeah, sounds like a terrible plan.

and one more thing....

11secfox said:
One more time to answer ALL your questions on each game
you still havent answered how IGN gave this "no fun" game a better score than "GOTY" contender unchartered.

·
No, hope, left...
534 Posts
blablabla said:
like i said earlier, ign busts my balls with their buffering but i got to a part that i think says it best.....

"in the end the combat is a bit of a mixed bag. it wont quite please all of the hard core shooter fans, nor will it really please the RPG fans...."

so it sounds to me that it may please MOST of the casual gamers. yeah, sounds like a terrible plan.

and one more thing....

you still havent answered how IGN gave this "no fun" game a better score than "GOTY" contender unchartered.
Pause the video's let it buffer fully, and then watch them both. I want to know your thoughts on each game after watching both video reviews.

As for your answer, it's because Mass Effect is huge. There are hours upon hours of stellar voice acting and recorded dialogue. It's a 40+ hour RPG man what do you expect, the game itself is huge as far as a go anywhere, do what you want, SAY what you want, type of game. But again, the fact that, and you'll see this once you watch the whole video, is that right after drawing your gun or whatever, you'll see you need to pause the game, select what what bullets or powers will come out of your gun, then unpause to fire it, rinse, repeat. Games are supposed to be seamless. Period. Especially with these 2 next gen consoles, there is no excuse to a non seamless game anymore. That's a thing of the past. Just look at games like Final Fantasy. You've got all of your RPG turn based actions right there somewhere on the screen that you call out and perform in real time, you don't pause the game. Mass Effect would have been 100% FLAWLESS if you could use all of the jedi force powers and weapon ammo in real time.

But instead they throw you into this: run up to enemy, draw weapon, pause game, select heated shotgun shells, activate, un pause the game, your gun fires, turn to face another enemy, pause game, select force lift, un pause game, enemy gets lifted into the air, pause game, select electrical rounds for your blaster, unpause, your gun fires, etc etc etc etc.

It is REDICULIOUS! Trust me, you would not like it at all. I like a seamless NON pausing game. I would think you would too.

Just image if in Gears of War you had to: take cover, pause game, select weapon, select the ammo, unpause, you pop up and fire, return cover, pause game, select nades, unpause, you throw them, etc etc. Gears would have failed MISEARBLEY. But as with Uncharted, all of your weapons actions and ammo were right there in a transluscent menu that you'd axcess in real time.

·
Registered
62 Posts
11secFOX said:
And my "butt" doesn't hurt. I own them all. My point is, don't jump on the hype bandwaggon with Mass Effect, it is NOT what people are hoping for. The fact alone that I HAD TO PAUSE the game to perform ALL THE COMMANDS, was enough to ruin it for me... Who in the fuck likes to play a paused game? If you're going to throw in RPG style elements they NEED to be selected and performed IN GAME, NOT WHILE THE GAME IS PAUSED.

:umm
even in reg rpg's your basically paused while selecting the moves, so its the same idea while its waiting for you to pick, atleast with mass effect you can do it that way or go all real time! mass effect rocks!

·
No, hope, left...
534 Posts
MindTrip said:
even in reg rpg's your basically paused while selecting the moves, so its the same idea while its waiting for you to pick, atleast with mass effect you can do it that way or go all real time! mass effect rocks!
That's my point. Reg RPG's died with Final Fantasy X-2. As anyone knows who played through Final Fantasy 12, turn based is a thing of the past. And the fact they tried to combine and old style of RPM mechanics into a Gears of War run and gun shooter is just, riiiiight. If they wanted to keep turned based shit they need to remove the run and gun aspect. Because it breaks up the action far too much. Those 2 elements just don't mix well.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I loved KOTOR. I played both 1 & 2 on the PC and it was the perfect RPG, my favorite in fact!

I just bought FF12 (PS2) and I am always pausing even though the battle system has changed to a more seamless type setup. I like turn-based, if I want pure action I will play COD4.

That said, it looks like you actually have to aim the reticle as opposed to choose targets? Is that right? Why would they do that?

A buddy has a 360 and wants to swap my PS3 for a few weeks. If he gets this Mass Effect game I might just do it.

11secFox, I know you are all about Uncharted, but honestly it doesn't blow up my skirt. My next game will probably be a PS2 RPG until the next FPS comes out for the PS3 (like SOF:payback or Battlefield)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I agree i hate turn based crap, but with that said when BioWare made KOTOR 1 and 2 i loved the combat even though it was not REALLY real time and more rpg'ish it was great.

I think both systems have there +and -'s I chose a 360 for now b/c of the good variety of games. Only games for PS3 that i would buy one for are MGS and Killzone 2 and might do so once one of them finally really comes out. Until then Microsoft just delivers with the games more efficiently

·
Duck Season
501 Posts
I've read about what you have to do to make the PS3 'tick', and let me say, it sounds incredibly fucking difficult. It's difficult to split things up over the same processor sharing a memory region. It's incredibly fucking difficult to split things up into little 256k programs...

that said... I want to get a blu-ray player someday. It seems like the best bet.

Except for this:
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/11/25/ps3-version-of-orange-box-might-be-downright-unplayable/

·
Registered
648 Posts
I just saw that Medal Of Honor Airborne is out for the PS3 now.

Anyone have it yet? Seems like it wasn't hyped or even reviewed at the usual websites.

·
No, hope, left...
534 Posts
RayRevolver said:
I just saw that Medal Of Honor Airborne is out for the PS3 now.

Anyone have it yet? Seems like it wasn't hyped or even reviewed at the usual websites.
Give it another day. I've played it on the 360. Good game. Probabily 99.9% identical to the PS3 version though. I'm seriously thinking about buying COD4 now... Just wish the 1 player campaign was longer than the reviewed 6 hours. I'm not a big fan of playing with other peepz but man every one of ya'll on my buddy list ar always playing it. I'm tempted to join.

:(

·
r.6.c.e.n.t.r.a.l.com
273 Posts
^i have it for the 360. Pretty awesome game if you're into using the older type guns, heaps different to COD4 anyway, but different strokes for different folks. I'm probably enjoying cod4 more than i did medal of honor, the scenes they play during the load times is really kick ass, so you don't feel like the game ever loads :)

COD4, wtf are you waiting for? get it, and get it for the 360 :D

·
No, hope, left...
534 Posts
JasO said:
^i have it for the 360. Pretty awesome game if you're into using the older type guns, heaps different to COD4 anyway, but different strokes for different folks. I'm probably enjoying cod4 more than i did medal of honor, the scenes they play during the load times is really kick ass, so you don't feel like the game ever loads :)

COD4, wtf are you waiting for? get it, and get it for the 360 :D
NOOOOOOOOOooooo! Don't make me have to choose sides!!!!!

:bigeyesad

·
No, hope, left...
534 Posts
Speaking of which, I need to get a Wii. The new Mario looks hella fun and man their virtual Arcade has hundreads of games I grew up with available for DL.

·
No, hope, left...
534 Posts
11secFOX said:
NOOOOOOOOOooooo! Don't make me have to choose sides!!!!!

:bigeyesad
:wall

·
5,078 Posts
I got MOH airborne and I'm a little dissappointed in it. I've played a lot of MOH games for ps1 and ps2 but I guess I'm used to COD3 and COD4 now.

I'm stuck at what I think is the end of the last level where you get out through the sewers. Those god damn nazis with the machine guns that take 100 hits before they die:veryangry gets annoying really fast. I got to this point in one day and I've been playing COD4 since.

It looks like it has some good replay value with finding the different drop points and getting the mods for the different guns. I think I'm just sold on COD4 for now.

I like the whole drop where ever you want idea which keeps things interesting. I just need to play it a little more to get used to everything.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Fallis said:
FYI - if you want to compare ratings this is the place to go:
http://www.metacritic.com/games/

They compile the ratings from all the significant sources into once score. Mass Effect is 92 and Uncharted is at 88 right now.

Also, real-time RPGs are crap.
that site is horrible, detroit free press? yahoo games? one online rag on that site gave R6Vegas a 60 overall. :wtf

http://www.gamerankings.com/ is the place to go.

121 - 140 of 363 Posts