R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Chase
906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It has become apparent to me that the left lane of the highway seems to hold just as much danger as the other lanes. I read in a motorcycle mag saying the left lane is the best place for a motorcyclist to travel. The article says to be traveling slightly faster than the other traffic to ensure other drivers see you. It says the left lane is also far better because you dont have to worry about last minute lane changers deciding they need to take the exit you are about to pass.
This summer, my dad and I got speeding tickets in the left lane, we took it to court and even brought the article saying we were trying to be safe by being in the left lane. But we only left with reduced tickets.
Now tonight on the local news, I saw this story about a vehicle traveling the wrong way on the highway.
http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S12728.html?cat=1
One of the other local stations said that people often travel the wrong way, and since the driver thinks the highway is actually a 2 lane road....he will be traveling on the right side, which is the left lane of the road.
This got me thinking, maybe I shouldnt be traveling in the left lane anymore, especially at night. And look at the instance with our friend Mike (Deadman42069), where someone made a U-turn on the highway, most likely to the left lane.

Be careful out there guys.
-Rest in Peace Mike

·
Dragraces too much
1,641 Posts
Every lane of the highway is dangerous, if you're not paying enough attention.

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
i dont think that the RARE instances that someone would be traveling in the wrong direction on the highway is enough to make the left lane more dangerous than the others. i usually ride the left lane because its faster, but i will change lanes to put myself in the line of sight for other drivers. always thinking for every car around me. "can they see me? i should slow down/speed up and/or move over in my lane so they can see me."

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
i dont think that the RARE instances that someone would be traveling in the wrong direction on the highway is enough to make the left lane more dangerous than the others.
I was at the scene of a head on collision last winter where a car was going the opposite direction, both vehicles were doing 65 - 70 mph at impact... 7 people dead... Sickest thing I have ever seen...

THE LEFT LANE IS THE PASSING LANE!!! ONLY USE WHEN YOU NEED TO PASS! Can't people get this thru their heads... i see it EVERYDAY on the highway... The RIGHT LANE IS THE SAFER LANE, and is also MUCH FASTER in traffic jam situations...

·
aka The O'Reilly Factor
1,595 Posts
FarrOut said:
THE LEFT LANE IS THE PASSING LANE!!! ONLY USE WHEN YOU NEED TO PASS! Can't people get this thru their heads... i see it EVERYDAY on the highway... The RIGHT LANE IS THE SAFER LANE, and is also MUCH FASTER in traffic jam situations...
100% correct.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
i ride on the grass beside the road, no traffic at all.

·
Registered
270 Posts
SFR6 said:
100% correct.
I disagree. In Southern California, all lanes are dangerous, drivers are constantly changing lanes (in all lanes).
The left lane allows you to distance yourself from many bad drivers (imo), and is easier on the peripheral vision.
But like I said, all lanes can be dangerous and lane selection I think varies with traffic condition, day/night, etc..and how we ride.

my 2 cents

·
Look Alive
558 Posts
+1 Most riders that I see in southern cali do ride in the left lane/carpool lane. Even the CHP motorcyclists ride ALWAYS ride in the left/carpool lane.

Mandosgreat said:
I disagree. In Southern California, all lanes are dangerous, drivers are constantly changing lanes (in all lanes).
The left lane allows you to distance yourself from many bad drivers (imo), and is easier on the peripheral vision.
But like I said, all lanes can be dangerous and lane selection I think varies with traffic condition, day/night, etc..and how we ride.

my 2 cents

·
Resident A-Hole
2,459 Posts
FarrOut said:

i highly disagree with this. if you're supposed to be going about 5mph faster than traffic then you would be passing everyone, if you're riding in the right lane, you're going to have to make a LOT more lane changes to pass the extremly slow cars. PLUS you have to deal with idiots making last second exits or entering way to early and crossing the gord (sp?). (ive seen MANY accidents first hand come from this, I have yet to see someone coming the opposite direction on the highway.)

·
Stock Tiip ARIO!
1,625 Posts
I like the left lane on the highway here in NY, but also the right lane because you only have to watch to the left for cars weaving in you lane, The only lane i think at times is a bad one in the middle because you got two places a car can weave at you and you can't really know where all the cars are then.:rockon I like to go 70-80-90-100 some where in that range few cops are after speeders on nYC highways

·
I am Jack's Doctor
2,883 Posts
Mandosgreat said:

my 2 cents
+2.

FarrOut said:
You should really stop posting...:kickinnut
+1

·
Stock Tiip ARIO!
1,625 Posts
Ok, I will stop posting at this thread, oh that means I got another post Ha Ha:rollin

·
kaneda!
6,424 Posts
i live in cali.. and i dont ride in the left lane as much anymore.. unless there is bumper to bumper traffic. sometimes, i feel that the left most lane is the most dangerous... cause cars wanting to go so fast on that lane, especially at night.

i find myself riding on the right most lane more... because there is a less chance of getting a speeding ticket.

i try to avoid the middle lanes on the highway as much as possible. thats a good way of getting squashed & run over.

·
Track day dreamer
6,874 Posts
I think it depends on traffic patterns and conditions. You have to get to the point as a rider that you are so accustomed to particular situations on the highway that you can read the traffic like a Dr. Seuss book, and automatically know where the best place to be is. I can't say that I spend any more time in one lane than another, because my position on the highway is often very fluid, to adapt to the traffic.

·
Registered
981 Posts
i choose whatever lane is open
i actually finder it safer to change lanes often to leave myself plenty of room to pass every car on the highway. when im just sittin in one lane in traffic, thats when i feel the most scared. cause stupid ppl will see what they think to be an opening in my lane and swerve over into me. and they do it fast as to ensure their success in the lane change (if that makes sense)
merging also keeps me on my toes cause cagers like to dismiss the fact that you are on the road.

·
He be beastin
1,458 Posts
I'm new to bikes, not cars but in cali I like to ride in the 1st (left) lane because what are the chances of someone driving the wrong way. Almost every highway has center dividers and I dont have to worry about as many people trying to get over. I also like to go a bit faster than traffic although I am risking a ticket, it just makes me feel safer. I do agree with staying out of the middle lanes but I dont think there is any offical "safe way" to do it on a bike. It's more about what makes you feel comfortable.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
i stay in the lane moving the fastest, cars change lanes into me all the time but quicky switch back to thier lane when they hear the shorty micron screaming off the rev limiter. it happens so often i don't even give em dirty looks anymore. i just simply roll right past em.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts