R6 Message Net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with my 99. I just got through taking it (totally to paint the frame) and do a little cleaning. Now, I have put everything back together and it will not read a temperature and the oil light won't go off.

I did replace the gauges with what seem to be newer gauges (my LCD was busted), but I did hook the old one up and see the same problems.

I have tried the following (besides hooking up the old gauges):
- Swapped ECUs
- Swapped relays
- Checked all fuses
- Checked all connections
- Swapped sensors

I'm not really too concerned about the oil sensor, but if the coolant temp isn't registering, it won't turn the fan on. That's a pretty big problem.

·
Registered
911 Posts
i know that 99 & 00 gauges won't work on 01 & 02 models, and the other way around. i will cause the problems that your describing. but if you plugged in your old gauges and had the same promlem, sorry i can't help...... don't know.
i guess if nothing else i gave a bump.

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
The fan switch is in the rad. and will still work even if you don't have a temp. read out on the meter housing. The temp. probe is screwed into the back of the head, under the carbs about in the center. There is a 2 wire connector coming from it, green with a red trace and black with a blue trace. Also the meter is grounded thru a ring connector that is screwed down on the thermostat housing. you need to check those connections first.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool deal. I'll try that. I thought it would still turn on without a temp reading b/c I've run the bike without guages before when I was warming it up and I thought I remembered them coming on. But now... nothing. I'll check the connections.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts