R6 Message Net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to do a trackday at Jennings and was wondering if I should stick with supercorsa SC1 frontc and SC2 rear. I was told today that most trackday guys are not fast enough to benefit from race tires and that I should get a set of diablo corsa instead. What tires are you guys running at Jennings?

·
Registered
160 Posts
You will be fine with a set of Diablo Corsa tires. You have to be very fast to out ride those tires. Plus if this is your street bike you can use them on the street too.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
zeus said:
You will be fine with a set of Diablo Corsa tires. You have to be very fast to out ride those tires. Plus if this is your street bike you can use them on the street too.
My first time at Jenninings I was running 1.28 to 1.30, I guess that I will be fine on the Diablo Corsa.

·
2008 Triumph 675
7,056 Posts
^^^ As in when you start running sub 27's you want something that is designed for the track to offer better stick at more extreme angles. If you are all that and a bag of chips, I'd like to see you out there doing 25's on a set of Diablo's all day long. Back in the day I was running the old Sportec M1's and found that they didn't last long at all when I was doing 27's. Sure it was 4 years ago, but DOT street tires aren't designed for those speeds and lean angles. Not saying he's gonna bite it in the first 15-20 laps, but I sure as hell wouldn't have any confidence in any street tire doing sub 27's all day long.

·
Registered
383 Posts
zeus said:

:withstupi :goodpost

·
I will not eat cat poop!
4,370 Posts
TZRaceR6 said:
^^^ As in when you start running sub 27's you want something that is designed for the track to offer better stick at more extreme angles. If you are all that and a bag of chips, I'd like to see you out there doing 25's on a set of Diablo's all day long. Back in the day I was running the old Sportec M1's and found that they didn't last long at all when I was doing 27's. Sure it was 4 years ago, but DOT street tires aren't designed for those speeds and lean angles. Not saying he's gonna bite it in the first 15-20 laps, but I sure as hell wouldn't have any confidence in any street tire doing sub 27's all day long.
I'll have to agree here.

I consider myself an good intermediate rider and I ran regular Diablos at Jennings and wasn't comfortable doing anything close to a fast pace. The tires would get greasy and slide after 3-4 good laps. I didn't have a timer, but I couldn't have been doing anything faster than a 1:35.

I ran 208gp's on my next trip there and was running consistent 26-28's all day long and the tires didn't even hiccup.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
If you are all that and a bag of chips, I'd like to see you out there doing 25's on a set of Diablo's all day long.
1st, I wouldn't run diablo's corsas, not becuase I have no confidence in them or being not being capable on the track, it's just I know how my dunlops worked in the past on bike with 208gp and now 209's, I wouldn't run anything else. "If ain't broke dont fix it".

I'm all that and a bag of chips, huh?:lol :rolleyes: No, I don't think I'm a hotshot and maybe I was wrong to assume that Corsas can handle a 1:27's. I would rather have Corsas over Brdigestone bt014's and buddy of mine was able to run mid 1:20's with his liter bike at jennings on a set of street bt014's for pretty much a full track day.:shrug

·
Registered
71 Posts
drtymex said:
I would rather have Corsas over Brdigestone bt014's and buddy of mine was able to run mid 1:20's with his liter bike at jennings on a set of street bt014's for pretty much a full track day.:shrug
I'd have to see that...

Pilot Powers seem to do well at JGP...

·
Registered
203 Posts
My wife is a pretty quick intermediate rider and loves her pilot powers. I run Power Race on my 636 with no issues. I know a guy going a sec or so faster than me on PP's. Helps though when you have good suspension.

·
Registered
648 Posts
From my own experience, use the race tires!

I am slow and should be able to run the Sportecs even at my race pace! Thats why you need race tires because they will grip when you grab that hand full of throttle, or grab the brakes too hard leaned over.

The fast guys are super smooth and can run on shagged tires all day and still do ok. They are fast because they know the bike, tires, and what they can get away with!!! The people who need more seat time, like me, benefit from the extra grip so we don't end up on our heads.

The last time I used Sportec M-1s on my RC51 I almost highsided in 2 consecutive corners, 1 right and 1 left, then I decided to switch to race tires.

The fast guys say you can get away with x-y-z street tire, but what they should say is, "I can get away with those tires. You, grasshopper, need all the grip you can get!"

Just my opinion.

·
2008 Triumph 675
7,056 Posts
drtymex said:
1st, I wouldn't run diablo's corsas, not becuase I have no confidence in them or being not being capable on the track, it's just I know how my dunlops worked in the past on bike with 208gp and now 209's, I wouldn't run anything else. "If ain't broke dont fix it".

I'm all that and a bag of chips, huh?:lol :rolleyes: No, I don't think I'm a hotshot and maybe I was wrong to assume that Corsas can handle a 1:27's. I would rather have Corsas over Brdigestone bt014's and buddy of mine was able to run mid 1:20's with his liter bike at jennings on a set of street bt014's for pretty much a full track day.:shrug
drtymex,
This topic started on the Diablo's, not any other tire. And from my own experience at Jennings, I wouldn't recommend using a street DOT tire if you are running sub 27's. I can do it, but I wouldn't want to. And that's kind of the point. Why risk your bike and person and tires not designed for track abuse? You'd be stupid to do it, unless you really know your bike and the tires and have the experience under your belt to handle any situation that can arise from taking said chance.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well guys, I've been reading your suggestions, and I personally prefer using the Super Corsa instead of the Diablo Corsa. But, the guy I got my info from, told me that I can't get the race tire hot enough running above 1.22 at Jennings during the winter season.
The Diablo Corsa on the other hand, gets up to temp by the end of the first lap and is good for the rest of the session.

I guess that I will stick with the Super Corsa, and work on getting my lap times to the lower 1.20s Wish me luck!

·
Registered
160 Posts
nick04R6 said:
Well guys, I've been reading your suggestions, and I personally prefer using the Super Corsa instead of the Diablo Corsa. But, the guy I got my info from, told me that I can't get the race tire hot enough running above 1.22 at Jennings during the winter season.
The Diablo Corsa on the other hand, gets up to temp by the end of the first lap and is good for the rest of the session.
This is just what I was going to add. If you are not fast enough to get heat in a race tire it will have less grip than a track day tire like the Diablo corsa and the pilot power. We race on these tires in April at Road America and Brainerd quit a lot because it is usually cold and has been know to snow from time to time.

·
Registered
160 Posts
NemesisR6 said:
I'll have to agree here.

I consider myself an good intermediate rider and I ran regular Diablos at Jennings and wasn't comfortable doing anything close to a fast pace. The tires would get greasy and slide after 3-4 good laps. I didn't have a timer, but I couldn't have been doing anything faster than a 1:35.
I would not run a standard Diablo on the track. This is why I recommended the Diablo corsa here. The two tires are very different from each other.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
I also ran a standard Diablo my first day at Jennings. They held up better than I thought but there was slippage at the end of the day. There was noticable difference between these tires and the Power Races' I ran the next day (especially the front tire feedback), and I was kinda slow. The bonus (as far as tire heat) was that it was 100 degrees that weekend, no lie.

Diablo Corsa's should be a good choice for cooler track days.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts