R6 Message Net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Red is Better
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm finally ready to take my bike out of the garage since the temperature is below 100 (still above 90 though :() and as I take it out on my test run after changing all the fluids I notice this fast fluctuation in RPM's, about 250, that really gets noticeable above 10k.

I need a new chain so I go to check it, make sure it's nice and lubed and to the proper tension. Here comes my problem and I think the cause of my crazy fluctuations, half my chain is loose and the other side is tight, normally I wouldn't think twice about this... it's always been a little like that, but now it's like one side the tension will be around 20mm and the other around 55mm.

Any ideas?? I've never let my bike sit for this long but the summers here in AZ are unbearable, did I do something wrong?

·
Red is Better
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
let's see if I can explain this a little better... when you check the slack on your chain you do it at one place right... about mid way between the rear and front sprocket on the bottom... it's right there I get two entirely different measurements.

make more sense?

I'm thinking that the chain didn't wear right or it's just completely gone anyway... it has about 22k miles on it.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
that exact same thing happened to me as well. i had the rpm fluctuations, (felt more like the bike was stuttering on/off successions real quick) the difference in chain slacks all the above.

took it to the mechanic and he said the rpm fluctuation was due to the chain being tight and loose (a "stretched" chain) he said and that it needed changing. needless to say i changed it asap (mech said it could fall off any second...no masterlink) and all my problems went away :thumbup

·
Red is Better
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for confirming it everyone... I was hoping that was the only problem. Time to get me a pretty new chain :)

·
Red is Better
1,220 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've ordered my brand new sprockets and chain, damn... at least another week of no bike.

And for you people that are jealous of the weather, don't be, when you people were outside riding I was stuck in the AC for fear of heat exhaustion, my first summer here I damn near branded my neck with a seat belt, that would have been an embarrassing scar, 120 degrees BLOWS.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
No one here mentioned worn sprockets. Chains don't stretch THAT much, and when they do it's generally more uniform. If I were to bet, I bet it's the sprockets that are the problem. Sprockets tend to go from circles to ovals. So depending on how the "ovals" are lined up, the chain can either be loose or tight.

Regardless, you getting new chain and sprockets is a good thing. All will be fixed. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts