R6 Message Net banner

strange oil leak

4K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Kidd1125 
#1 ·
Hey guys....just bought a 2005 R6. Bone stock, pampered, and in perfect shape with 2,000 miles. However, at the bottom portion of the coolant catch tank cover, there are three vent tubes. One of them (the large diameter one on top) is leaking a very small amount of what appears to be engine oil.

I traced the tube back up to its origin, and it is one of the two that comes out of the bottom of the gas tank (the tank vents). Now how in the hell could this tube have oil in it? Could anyone else check their bike and see if this has some oil at the edge of the tube? I'm assuming all '03-'05 models would be configured the same.

#2 ·
no need to fret. the vapor and small amount of liquid that come out sludge up over time and get pretty gross. it also degrades the rubber that the hose it made of to a small degree. mix all that up with a little road grime and it does look similar to oil. if you care, you can minmize the effects somewhat by not filling your tank all the way up to the top. hope this helps

#3 ·
Hey Merlin....I thought the same thing about it just being built up over time, but here's the catch: I totally cleaned out the oil in the vent tube using a q tip. After 2 days of riding, the end of the vent tube once again has a fresh film of oil coming out the end of it. Now what in the world would explain oil getting inside of a gas tank vent??

#7 ·
I guess i'll just take your advice and not worry about it. I went for a ride today and the tube was oily again (I dried it out last night before I put the bike up). I also verified it was definitely oil. Feels slippery between the fingers and it won't evaporate. I followed the hose back up to the gas tank and unplugged it from there, and that end of the hose was bone dry :furious

Oh well, stranger things have happend I guess.

#11 ·
Hey guys....just bought a 2005 R6. Bone stock, pampered, and in perfect shape with 2,000 miles. However, at the bottom portion of the coolant catch tank cover, there are three vent tubes. One of them (the large diameter one on top) is leaking a very small amount of what appears to be engine oil.

I traced the tube back up to its origin, and it is one of the two that comes out of the bottom of the gas tank (the tank vents). Now how in the hell could this tube have oil in it? Could anyone else check their bike and see if this has some oil at the edge of the tube? I'm assuming all '03-'05 models would be configured the same.
Man I’m having the same problem with my 2003. I went riding and the tube that comes out under my resivour for my coolant I think is what’s leaking. I’m not sure what it is and I can’t see the pictures anyone’s posted to see if it’s the same hose or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.