R6 Message Net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A great deal of posts here revolve around the inherent danger of riding a motorcycle; the possibility of getting mangle or killed. Everyone is so quick to say "Be careful!" and "Wear your gear" (but I would never underestimate that advice). I'm fed up with this mindset. I accept the danger. I'm very alert on the road, making endless predictions and calculations to keep myself safe. But I really feel we're beating a dead horse (as much as I just did with that horrible cliche). Maybe it's not so much the posts here, many of which offer great advice on being safe, but the reaction of everyone I meet that always approaches riding from the point of view that it's dangerous.
I had my first relief from this permeating mindset when a man of 60+ years in a neckbrace came up to me to talk about riding. He was a kneedragger at one point. He had some medical problem, blacked out while riding and woke up in the hospital. Basically, shit happens. All he could talk to me about was going to track days, learning, using the bike to it's potential, and wishing he could ride the opening lap of a race.
Let's embrace riding and the thrill involved, not the impending disaster. I ride to work in full leathers every day. I'm tired of being told to be safe. Go out and have fun.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
while you're having fun...be safe.

seriously though, many of us have had friends and relatives injured and/or killed on bikes...some of us ourselves have been seriously injured. often the injuries and death could have been avoided by either wearing proper safety gear and/or not riding irresponsibly. so if you ever get tired of hearing people on this board advise that folks ride safely, maybe you should find a different site. safety and responsible riding advise is one of the hallmarks of this site that i, for one, am particularly proud of

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Many more of us know people killed or maimed in car accidents. I never get told how important my seatbelt is or how stupid drunk driving is on any car forums. Responsibility applies to all drivers. The risk is elevated dramatically, but do we really need that to preoccupy us all the time?

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
motorcycles are bad MMMkay. well, the streets and motorcycles are bad MMkay, well the streets, motorcycles, and stunters is bad MMMkay.

·
#1 member
2,807 Posts
I get sick of hearing my co workers tell me to get rid of my bike. and your going to get hurt so bad one of these days. and when it happened they all reminded me many times how right they were.
they make me want to fucking strangle them

·
99 R6 + 04 R1 = Trouble
606 Posts
I guess I don't see what the big deal is, but then again, I'm the guy that wears a back protector on the street.

No one on this board is saying 'don't ride a motorcycle, you ARE going to die', more so just 'be as safe as you can while your enjoying this risky sport'. Over 80% of the rider's I run into during the summer time dont wear anything more than a helmet. Why wouldn't I want to warn these young tough guys that bad shit happens to everyone at some point in time?

It's really all your mindset and how you choose to look at things. I saw a post earlier today from Sunofwolf that said "People who crash think the street is a race track instead of a place to joy ride and pick up bats-girls. As long as you take it easy riding is safe." This is coming from a guy that has only ridden a few months to my understanding. Now give me a break, riding is inherently dangerous, this guy is just trying to blind himself to the realities and maybe justify his purchase. You can take it as easy as you want but you still have to worry about assholes in cars, animals running out in front of you and your reaction to that, and a host of other unpredictable events. We don't have a metal cage around us that will protect us in the event of a crash, just our own gear we choose to wear. That's why you find people on here trying to drum that idea into the head's of those people like the guy I mentioned above. Like Warmseth, I'm proud of the fact that this board does it, because I don't really see much of that on other boards I frequent.

·
Dragraces too much
1,641 Posts
I love people telling me that their friend/son/daughter/husband died on a bike. First off, I didn't actually ask to hear your life story. But then I ask them if they've ever been in an accident in a car. When they say yes, ask them if they could have prevented it by paying attention.

One of the reasons I love motorcycling, there's danger involved. If you pay attention, you crash a lot less (and that includes paying attention to others as well as predicting what others may do).

Yes, riding is dangerous... if you're not paying attention. But so is driving. So is just walking across a street, even.

·
Please don't read this .
111 Posts
I don't mind if someone tells me to "Be careful" when I am on the bike . What I do mind is when someone tells me that "I shouldn't ride because it is dangerous" . For them, I send as many bike crash pictures as I can find and tell them that we all die at some time . Shoot...a guy was hit by a car Just outside work today and all he did was try to cross at the street lights . I guess that someone should have warned him about the dangers of walking .

·
Registered
170 Posts
Kaffee said:
A great deal of posts here revolve around the inherent danger of riding a motorcycle; the possibility of getting mangle or killed. Everyone is so quick to say "Be careful!" and "Wear your gear" (but I would never underestimate that advice). I'm fed up with this mindset. I accept the danger. I'm very alert on the road, making endless predictions and calculations to keep myself safe. But I really feel we're beating a dead horse (as much as I just did with that horrible cliche). Maybe it's not so much the posts here, many of which offer great advice on being safe, but the reaction of everyone I meet that always approaches riding from the point of view that it's dangerous.
I had my first relief from this permeating mindset when a man of 60+ years in a neckbrace came up to me to talk about riding. He was a kneedragger at one point. He had some medical problem, blacked out while riding and woke up in the hospital. Basically, shit happens. All he could talk to me about was going to track days, learning, using the bike to it's potential, and wishing he could ride the opening lap of a race.
Let's embrace riding and the thrill involved, not the impending disaster. I ride to work in full leathers every day. I'm tired of being told to be safe. Go out and have fun.
Ever been down?:snooz

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
fjman said:
I love people telling me that their friend/son/daughter/husband died on a bike. First off, I didn't actually ask to hear your life story. But then I ask them if they've ever been in an accident in a car. When they say yes, ask them if they could have prevented it by paying attention.

One of the reasons I love motorcycling, there's danger involved. If you pay attention, you crash a lot less (and that includes paying attention to others as well as predicting what others may do).

Yes, riding is dangerous... if you're not paying attention. But so is driving. So is just walking across a street, even.
everyone freakin told me 'dont get it youre gonna get hurt' BLAHBLAHBLAH i just wanted to tell everyone to shut their goddamn traps.i guess ive always just liked pissing people off.. mostly againts people who want for me what they want for themselves. classic example.. gf's mom "why are you getting a motorcycle! do you know 90% of people on motorcycles die? you should have gotten a luxury car instead."

:mad:

·
#1 member
2,807 Posts
sideshow said:
everyone freakin told me 'dont get it youre gonna get hurt' BLAHBLAHBLAH i just wanted to tell everyone to shut their goddamn traps.i guess ive always just liked pissing people off.. mostly againts people who want for me what they want for themselves. classic example.. gf's mom "why are you getting a motorcycle! do you know 90% of people on motorcycles die? you should have gotten a luxury car instead."

:mad:
remind her 100% of the people on earth die.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Mike, aka deadman, said it best when he said something along the lines of 'If my time comes I would like it to be on my bike.' When his time came, it was on his bike. We KNOW he died doing the thing he loved most. What is so terrible about that? Yes, it is sad and tragic and no parent should ever have to bury their children and he left many people behind who loved him a lot. But as people are saying, everyone has their time.

I would say that all of us on motorcycles do not have deathwishes. Rather, we don't let life pass us by. We do not stop ourselves from doing one thing that we LOVE, because the effects might be damaging or deadly. However, we do acknowledge the risks we take and as such try to curtail any possibly avoidable injury or even death through the use of common sense, good riding, gear, and paying attention at all times.

This is what I say to family, friends, etc.
"I don't have a deathwish, and want to live a good life, but if my time comes doing something I love, then there are worse ways to go."

With that said, I ride within my limits at all times (not necessarily the governments limits), wear my gear and don't ride if I don't have all of my wits about me.

Hell, my greatest fear in life is not dying on my 6, but dying cause my body has degenerated so much due to old age that to call it living is far too generous.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts