R6 Message Net banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
i just want to now how many teeth does 2006 r6 have both front and the rear and i just want to get some more low end out of my bike any ideas
stock on the 06-07 r6 (not s model) is 16/45. may want to try going down in the front 1 tooth (to a 15) very cheap way to see if you like it. Rear sprockets are much more expensive.

·
Registered
117 Posts
stock on the 06-07 r6 (not s model) is 16/45. may want to try going down in the front 1 tooth (to a 15) very cheap way to see if you like it. Rear sprockets are much more expensive.
I was advised by a pro rider that the ideal "tight" track gearing
on the 06 R6 (nonS) is 14/47 .. That roughly works out to a 4
teeth difference from stock .. Is that too agressive for a novice
racer ? I was going to try out a 14 on the front and keep the
stock 45 on the rear .. Any suggestions ?

Thanks ..

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I was advised by a pro rider that the ideal "tight" track gearing
on the 06 R6 (nonS) is 14/47 .. That roughly works out to a 4
teeth difference from stock .. Is that too agressive for a novice
racer ? I was going to try out a 14 on the front and keep the
stock 45 on the rear .. Any suggestions ?

Thanks ..
Four teeth?? 1 in front is = to about 3 at the rear. 16 is stock, your going to 14, that is SIXteeth right there, then TWO MORE up at the rear is EIGHT
He is either having fun at your expense or has never been close to 15 seconds of a lap record on a track. Now by tight do you mean a GO CART track?
I was recently at VIR, we used 17/44 and a rider much faster than me was at 17/43-42. At Jennings GP i have ran within 3 seconds of the track record and use 16/44 gearing. THat is one tooth DOWN from stock (again16/45 is stock).
Gearing is all relative! A pro level rider will carry much more corner speed than you or I. NO WAY can we use that as a guide. If you tried to use the gearing of some pro's you would never have the bike above 10,000 rpm OR you would have to use a gear lower in every corner. Follow me?? Also, some riders have different styles and may use different gearing. I can tell you however at VIR had you been on track with 14/47 on your r6 you would have been passed before Start/finish BY THE MOTARDS as you would have totally topped out on revs.
If you were to put a 14 tooth sprocket on your bike you would be shifting ALOT. At some tracks it is not necessary to use all 6 gears. 2nd through 5th is often the case. Barber is about as tight as it gets, and we use 2nd through FOURTH gears. Even Josh Herrin in a Video on YouToube i found was using what appeared to be 2nd-4th gears.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Four teeth?? 1 in front is = to about 3 at the rear. 16 is stock, your going to 14, that is SIXteeth right there, then TWO MORE up at the rear is EIGHT
He is either having fun at your expense or has never been close to 15 seconds of a lap record on a track. Now by tight do you mean a GO CART track?
I was recently at VIR, we used 17/44 and a rider much faster than me was at 17/43-42. At Jennings GP i have ran within 3 seconds of the track record and use 16/44 gearing. THat is one tooth DOWN from stock (again16/45 is stock).
Gearing is all relative! A pro level rider will carry much more corner speed than you or I. NO WAY can we use that as a guide. If you tried to use the gearing of some pro's you would never have the bike above 10,000 rpm OR you would have to use a gear lower in every corner. Follow me?? Also, some riders have different styles and may use different gearing. I can tell you however at VIR had you been on track with 14/47 on your r6 you would have been passed before Start/finish BY THE MOTARDS as you would have totally topped out on revs.
If you were to put a 14 tooth sprocket on your bike you would be shifting ALOT. At some tracks it is not necessary to use all 6 gears. 2nd through 5th is often the case. Barber is about as tight as it gets, and we use 2nd through FOURTH gears. Even Josh Herrin in a Video on YouToube i found was using what appeared to be 2nd-4th gears.
oh that's right (forgot, i've been told before that front is 3 teeth equivalent to the rear) ..
yes, the rider is well within lap records and i believe has set a few himself and
that's why I was interested in what he suggested ..
the track is bigger then a go-kart, but not huge (back straight is barely a 1/4 mile) .. Shannonville Motorsports Park in Onatrio (Canada) is known for tight gearing, and last year i ran my kawi 636 there with stock front sprocket and 3teeth up in the rear and was still just slightly tall for the tight stuff like hairpin and chicane ..
haha, i wasn't looking to even dream of pulling corner speeds of the pro's, but would like to eliminate the 1.5 - 2 second delay on throttle exiting the hairpin on stock gearing ..
I just ordered a 15 front sprocket for the R6 and will leave the rear stock for now and see if this shortens the gearing enough for what I'd like to accomplish .. If needed, I'll get a new chain and go up 2 on the rear to a 15/47 combination that the guy at my dealer suggested just now (but I'll first test the cheaper alternative of just switching the front sprocket only to the 15 for now) .. I won't have to worry too much about losing top-end at this track with the short straights, but I'll have the 16 sprocket on hand any if the change is needed .. This track is tighter then Barber (Barber is comparable to our track called Calabogie, and my stock gearing was decent there) ..
Thanks for the info .. i'll let you know my findings after this weekend ..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts