R6 Message Net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed the brake fluid about a month ago=everything fine. Brakes were tight, not squishy. Haven't ridden for 2 weeks. Get on today for a ride and brakes very squishy. I unscrewed the master cylinder to check the gasket for proper seating. Opened the bleeder valves, one at a time, squeezed the brake lever, tightened bleeder valve, released lever. Brakes still feel soft. They were fine a month ago. What happened? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I changed the brake fluid about a month ago=everything fine. Brakes were tight, not squishy. Haven't ridden for 2 weeks. Get on today for a ride and brakes very squishy. I unscrewed the master cylinder to check the gasket for proper seating. Opened the bleeder valves, one at a time, squeezed the brake lever, tightened bleeder valve, released lever. Brakes still feel soft. They were fine a month ago. What happened? Any suggestions?
only use DOT 4 fluid, never dot 5 or 3 or anything else. Assuming you did use dot4 you probably have bubbles in the lines. Put a zip tie on the lever overnight and that will open the cylinder and allow bubbles to come up. See if that helps. if not you probably gotta get some help bleeding the lines properly.

·
Registered
43 Posts
only use DOT 4 fluid, never dot 5 or 3 or anything else. Assuming you did use dot4 you probably have bubbles in the lines. Put a zip tie on the lever overnight and that will open the cylinder and allow bubbles to come up. See if that helps. if not you probably gotta get some help bleeding the lines properly.

+1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I put a zip tie on and left overnight. Removed the zip tie and brakes felt good. Went on vacation for a week and brakes have no pressure at all. There aren't any leaks anywhere that I can see either. I'm not gonna pay $80 for the local yamaha dealership to bleed the system.

·
Registered
18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I thought I had the problem fixed. I've been riding every couple of days over the last three or four weeks and the brakes have felt tight. But i havn't ridden in about 4 days and they feel squishy again. Could an over tightened bleeder valve be allowing air to gradually enter the system? Seems like I read something about that somewhere. Doesn't seem like it would but thought I'd ask.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If it was over tightened to the point it damaged the seat the bleeder screw sits in it could. That being said you would have a little fluid leak more times than not and especially when you applied the brake. Seen it a few times ( usually on D-bikes and quads where the back yard mechanic had an issue and just kept tightening to fix it rather than investigate more closely ). Unlikely though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.