R6 Message Net banner

Slipper clutches

1K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  XFBO 
#1 · (Edited)
I started reading a little about them and it got me interested. I just had a few questions about them. If I were to get one for my 03 is it pretty much just a replacement part? Would I have to buy other parts to get everything together?

Also, how hard is a clutch install. Never did one before so I don't know what I'm getting into but I wouldn't think its too bad.

Is the upgrade worth it? Whats everyone have to say about the yoyo slipper?

I have about 13k on my bike now so I figured I'll probably need a new clutch soon so I may as well up grade :shrug

#2 ·
blueblur said:
I started reading a little about them and it got me interested. I just had a few questions about them. If I were to get one for my 03 is it pretty much just a replacement part? Would I have to buy other parts to get everything together?

Also, how hard is a clutch install. Never did one before so I don't know what I'm getting into but I wouldn't think its too bad.

Is the upgrade worth it? Whats everyone have to say about the yoyo slipper?

I have about 13k on my bike now so I figured I'll probably need a new clutch soon so I may as well up grade :shrug
need a clutch at 13k miles? you must beat the shit out of it

#5 ·
CALR1 said:
it is a race part, dont know why anyone would want it for the street....

but just think about the hardest breaking point at your track, sure is going to be nice to have to have one less thing to worry about while trying to lose that extra second.
Sorry, forgot to mention its for a race bike. I don't ride the street anymore.

And I don't need a clutch at 13k. Just figured it would start to slip in a few thousand miles.

#6 ·
Mike everything comes with the kit a new hub, plates, springs, and such. It's fairly easy to change a clutch. Remove the cover you will need a new gasket. Loosen the nuts on the springs then pull out the fiber plates ans steels. The hardest part is removing the clutch basket. You will need a special holder sold at the stealership or an impact gun. It may be the case where you can remove the whole thing as one piece. Then it would be even more simple. Take a look on ebay I found a couple for around 600.00. http://search.ebay.com/search/searc...&from=R8&satitle=r6+slipper+clutch&category0=

#7 ·
The yoyodyne is supposed to be really good. There is a group buy going on @ the WERA board for $700 shipped on 'em. Of course its not going to make you faster, but it may save you butt if you make a mistake. It definitely helps on my Aprilia with its big twin (not a yoyodyne but the factory).

#9 ·
Love my slipper clutch. It's less prone to chatter when shifting and rev matching isn't that critical but I still blip my throttle, and the chatter is greatly reduced compared to a bike without one.

I tend to adjust my slipper clutch every 400 to 500 miles just for shits and giggles.
Oh yeah, dragracers and people who clutch wheelie will have to adjust way more often than that, well on my bike that is.

You won't be dissapointed...

#10 ·
OK here is my feeling on slippers. Yes they are worth every penny and they are an awesome upgrade....however, I am going to recomend that you do not get one if you plan on racing SS anymore and this is why. Lets just say next year you are running up fron talot and you get your first win woohoo well its in SS and the guy who got second could hear your slipper or one of his buddies could hear it as you came into turn one. Well fuck it he doesnt give a shit about you and he knows he is right so he is gonna protest you. Now you can just take the DQ becasue you know you are not legal and ok...you lost the race, not that big of a deal. The big deal now is that everyone says the only reason you are running up front is becasue your bike is not legal and you loose your "credit" with the paddock. I know alot of guys use them, but why take the chance.

It feels good when you go to tech after a race and you know you have absolutely nothing to hide or worry about.

thats my 2 cents anyway.

#15 ·
I just got to install one last week, and it was extremely simple to put in as long as you have the correct tools. A few big sockets, impact gun, breaker bar, torque wrench, hex bits. It has a lot of little parts, so you just have to keep reading the directions over and over which was a challenge in itself since they are translated from Italian. And “Install plate set on into set plate use 6M screw, now remove” is kind of confusing. But I just looked at the pictures and did fine. Oh we installed an STM.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.