R6 Message Net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I did a couple searches and wasn't able to find a solid answer on my question:

I bought a new R6S and when I went through the owners manual it stated that the chain should be cleaned and lubed after every ride in the rain and/or when its been washed.

My question: is it really necessary to clean and lube the chain after every time you finish riding in the rain; or wash the bike with water (versus a quick detailer or similar)? I don't mind doing maintenance; but it seems like a bit of an over-kill chore to do that each time its wet out. Whats people's experience with it? Should I be okay to clean and lube the chain once a month or two if theres been sporadic rain in there? Summer in Alaska can see some pretty heavy rainy days but usually not in succession; just one or two days and then a clear stretch.

·
Registered
102 Posts
It really depends on your lube - I use silkolene when I can get my hands on it - stuff says on pretty well, no amount of rain or washing is gonna penetrate. But I've seen other lubes (motul, mobile etc.) that seem to lose consistency after a lot of water and collect dirt from wet surfaces very easily.

In general, rain or shine, I clean and lube my chain every 600km. I've never gone wrong with that schedule.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It really depends on your lube - I use silkolene when I can get my hands on it - stuff says on pretty well, no amount of rain or washing is gonna penetrate. But I've seen other lubes (motul, mobile etc.) that seem to lose consistency after a lot of water and collect dirt from wet surfaces very easily.

In general, rain or shine, I clean and lube my chain every 600km. I've never gone wrong with that schedule.
I'll have to check that silkolene out then; I definitely will regularly maintain my chain; I am just being lazy and really not wanting to have to do it every time it rains or something lol.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I don't keep a schedule to lube my chain but will spray it every couple rides. There are a lot of products out there. Most of them good and would just go off something your dealer recommends I just finished a bottle of Honda procycle with white graphite and that worked ok and I just recently bought a PJ1 spray. Its more about doing the maintence than what kind of lube you have.

·
squid
153 Posts
I couldn't hurt to clean and lube it after every ride in the rain. the water will wash off the lube. just clean the chain with wd40, then dry the chain and and lube it. I like bell ray super clean chain lube. make sure you wipe off all the exess lube.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I couldn't hurt to clean and lube it after every ride in the rain. the water will wash off the lube. just clean the chain with wd40, then dry the chain and and lube it. I like bell ray super clean chain lube. make sure you wipe off all the exess lube.
Sounds good then; I'll just clean it after rain riding to be safe :) thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts