R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
4 weeks ago I went down....

I believe I went down because of Cold + NEw tires And it was 30 degrees...

I was wondering if it is ok to scuff the front tire up wit sand paper lightly to get the tire broken in?

The back tire I am going to slightly burned it out and rotate the bike so the whoole back tire gets some...

I bought the bike and the guy said he burned out the back tire cuz it was new but I dont think he did it properly.. Just the middle of the tire looks nice and scuffed the sides are slippery feelin..

Any info?

·
VSISAPUNKBITCH!
4,499 Posts
you probably went down because it was cold, not because they are new tires....you can take a green scrubbie pad to it, if you want to scuff it any.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yea man thanks for the reply.....

I didnt really notice how smooth the tires where until After the crash.. I couldnt believe I went down.. I went into a small 30mph at like 33 put a slight lean and WAM went down like crazy.... Bike didnt even warn me with a wiggle just DROPPED... then I look at the wall of my tires... and there smooth as hell. The guy b4 me just burnt the middle of the tires out...

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
the only really good way to "break in" a tire is to heat cycle it, and ride it around...

what year bike you have? are the forks raised?

·
Registered
151 Posts
This scrubbing in concept is just a myth, since the invention of radial tires at least. You probably fell off because the tires weren't warm enough to give you any grip.

There is no need to scrub in modern tires, just ask a tire rep.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
The Resident Plarp said:
This scrubbing in concept is just a myth, since the invention of radial tires at least. You probably fell off because the tires weren't warm enough to give you any grip.

There is no need to scrub in modern tires, just ask a tire rep.

:umm You do have to scrub in brand new tires.. the releasing agent on them is slick for sure...

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
michellin pilot powers would have kept your bike from low sideing

·
Registered
105 Posts
Here's my (often) misguided opinion which nobody asked for :)

On brand new tires you can spray brake cleaner on a rag and wipe down the tire. It knocks of the mold release compounds. Notice I did not say to soak down the tire or rag. This will only get rid of the surface release compound it does not break in the tire etc. Scrubbing them in will get rid of it as well.

Heating up the tire would have been your best bet as any tire will offer limited grip with no heat whatsoever in it. Even the Pilot Powers need some heat. (I tested the theory this weekend and they will slide cold :myfault ). You can heat the tire with stops and starts because it is primarily the flexing of the tire carcass tha creates the heat in the tire.

The combination of the two was more than likely your downfall, no pun intended.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thrak said:
:umm You do have to scrub in brand new tires.. the releasing agent on them is slick for sure...
Releasing agent hasn't been used for years as it's not required with modern molding techniques. Again, ask your trackside vendor.

·
Fire Wrench Dammit!!!
3,322 Posts
The Resident Plarp said:
Releasing agent hasn't been used for years as it's not required with modern molding techniques. Again, ask your trackside vendor.
The releasing agent may not be used on modern tires, however they do still need to be scrubbed in. Ive been on a bike w/ brand new tires and they are slippery as hell. Even more so then tires that are just cold. Im sorry, but all you have to do is look at the tire to figure this out; the outside is SMOOTH. A smooth tire is going to grip less than one that is scuffed up. End of story.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
The Resident Plarp said:

I can see it on there :lol Maybe its not a "relesasing agent" anymore, but there is a definite slickness on the outside of a brand new tire...

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
FrkyMnky1487 said:
The releasing agent may not be used on modern tires, however they do still need to be scrubbed in. Ive been on a bike w/ brand new tires and they are slippery as hell. Even more so then tires that are just cold. Im sorry, but all you have to do is look at the tire to figure this out; the outside is SMOOTH. A smooth tire is going to grip less than one that is scuffed up. End of story.
Yea doin a burnout just ruffs up the middle of the tire.......

and for whoever asked My bike is a 2000.

·
Registered
151 Posts
FrkyMnky1487 said:
Don't be sorry. Here's why;

Buy a pit pass the next time you go to see an AMA race. Walk around the paddock and take a good look at the tires on factory bikes after they've come in from practice, especially the race distance stints they usually do before final qualifying. The tires look almost brand new, perfect. Sure, the factory boys get better tires than most privateers - but that's why their tires look almost brand new, even after 20+ laps. The tires look nice and smooth on a well set-up bike.

Smooth tires grip a shit-ton better than a tire that's got boogers hanging off of it. Listen to the riders when they talk about setting the bike up. A lot of set-up data comes from just looking at the tire. Different wear patterns equate to different solutions were set-up is concerned.

Grip has little to do with smooth as you're referring to it. Grip is down to proper tire temperature, good bike set-up and compatible tire compound.

Again, go ask a trackside tire vendor and they'll tell you: there is no need to scrub in the tire due to releasing compound and if you have tire warmers; the first corner after the green flag is not a problem. ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thrak said:
I can see it on there :lol Maybe its not a "relesasing agent" anymore, but there is a definite slickness on the outside of a brand new tire...
... and Thrak PM Stickboy over on the WERA BBS and he'll tell ya if you don't believe me. :)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thrak said:
Feel? What do they measure?
Well I meant they felt like it because the bike is in a garage..

and as for this "Grip is down to proper tire temperature, good bike set-up and compatible tire compound."

^^ the tire was at a freezing temp for one thing..

But I jsut cant imagine a tire that comes straight from the factory with the foam or that smooth surface has grip better then a tire "broken in" with texture?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts