R6 Message Net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody got them ??? Anti-fog visors works? Opinions please.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Scorpion are very nice, yes the anti fog works. I've been riding with mine since August, every day, for hours each day, and I can only say good things. In Winter weather the venting lets in a tiny bit more cold air than I would call perfect, even when fully closed, but in warmer weather that air is heaven sent. A+ helmet in my book.

·
Registered
538 Posts
The EXO-700 failed a DOT random compliance test this year with a single penetration failure and a dwell time failure.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/testing/comply/fmvss218/2005s218.pdf

Dwell time is a requirement of DOT testing only. It is the requirement that centers around the current debate within the industry. The acceleration value may not exceed 200g for a period of .2ms or 150g for .4ms in the DOT test. The peak value allowed for the test is 400g.

Snell, BSI, and ECE do not have dwell time requirements, but the peak values allowed are lower at 300g for Snell and BSI, and 275g for ECE. They all use different drop heights and Snell and BSI use two impacts, as does DOT. These are all points of contention between any of the various standards bodies and experts in the field.

The penetration tests are the same for Snell, BSI, and DOT. The Scorpion is Snell approved. After original approval batch, their testing is similar to the DOT random testing, but apparently the Scorpions passed those tests this year. So essentially it passed the same tests for initial Snell approval and other random tests based on sales numbers for the helmet. Snell says they average one test per every 2000 units sold.

It is surprising to encounter these failures together though. Usually a dwell time failure would be associated with a thicker or harder shell, but that same construction is typically thought to provide more protection against penetration. I guess the shell on the Scorpion may resist blunt forces to a degree that is more than is ideal under the DOT test conditions, while also not being thick enough or strong enough to stop the more pinpointed forces of the penetration test anvil. With only a single penetration failure, it's likely that it was slight, as are most dwell time failures. Dwell time failures are often associated with Snell approval and "hard" or "stiff" shells, but that certainly doesn't show up often in the DOT random test results.

·
To the Track Stat!!!
1,473 Posts
I've got the EXO-700 and love it (its my spare). Doesn't fog up at all like my Arai.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I have the EXO-400 and I never want another helmet. It's really comfortable for me (I use an XS... never knew I had such a small head, heh), and it really never fogs up. Good vents, too. For $130, that's a pretty damn good deal.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Faster Integra said:
scorpion :thumbdown like i was told...your head is worth as much as your helmet...
Ouch, my head is pretty cheap in the whole scheme of things. Price has little do with the equation. The dwell time requirement is controversial, and penetration injuries are rare, but the company should be able to get this stuff right every time, regardless. It also should have been Snell random tested a few times this year as well, which uses the same penetration test, and it apparently passed those tests and the intial certification. It's just strange to see those two kinds failures together, from my limited understanding of the physics involved, makes you wonder about good ol' Dr. Sloan.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I like my scorpion, it feels really well on my head, also seems just as sturdy as any other helmet, helmets don't take much to screw up anyways. Trust me, don't turn your back on them because of that result he posted, if they weren't up to standard, scorpion wouldn't be able to sell them.

·
Registered
538 Posts
deeforce said:
I like my scorpion, it feels really well on my head, also seems just as sturdy as any other helmet, helmets don't take much to screw up anyways. Trust me, don't turn your back on them because of that result he posted, if they weren't up to standard, scorpion wouldn't be able to sell them.
They were taken off of Snell's list of approved models earlier in the year. I'm guessing that was while they were resolving the issue. Not someplace I'd want to put my dollar votes. This is the only Snell-approved helmet or full-face street helmet to have a performance issue this year in the random testing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts