R6 Message Net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From SuperBike Mag

November 29, 2005
He was slower than his team mate Colin Edwards yesterday, down in sixth place, but now he's rubbed the sleep from his eyes and remembered which way the track goes, Valentino Rossi is back on top of the timing sheets at Sepang. Altogether now, 'Yes, for me is very good...'.
Slightly more seriously, here's the words of the man himself via the delightful Katie Baines (Hiya!). “I am really happy with what we did today on the new bike and I am feeling quite positive about it. I have a good feeling on it and more stability than with the old M1, so this is very encouraging considering that it's just the first day of work. Today we did a lot of work with Michelin while trying to understand and gather data for the new bike. At the end of the day I changed back to the old bike and continued testing tyres. Yesterday the feeling was not perfect with the 2005 bike but we changed some settings and today it began to feel much better. We had some problems here in the race and so it's good to make these improvements. Tomorrow we have some more things to try with the new bike before we fly home for the holidays!”
Colin Edwards gets a chance to ride the new bike tomorrow (Wednesday) and, in as much as their settings are apparently getting more and more similar, we can only keep our fingers crossed that Edwards (someone! anyone!) is going to push Rossi this winter.

UNOFFICIAL LAP TIMES

1. Valentino Rossi (ITA) Gauloises Yamaha Team, 2'02.61
2. Marco Melandri (ITA) Honda, 2'02.65
3. Toni Elias (SPA) Honda, 2'02.78
4. Colin Edwards (USA) Gauloises Yamaha Team, 2'02.94
5. Carlos Checa (SPA) Honda, 2'02.96
6. Nicky Hayden (USA) Honda, 2'03.05
7. John Hopkins (USA) Suzuki, 2'03.10
8. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Honda, 2'03.15
9. Shinya Nakano (JPN) Kawasaki, 2'03.52
10. Casey Stoner (AUS) Honda, 2'03.56
11. Chris Vermuelen (AUS) Suzuki, 2'04.50
12. Randy du Puniet (FRA) Kawasaki, 2'04.50
13. James Ellison (GBR) Yamaha, 2'05.52

Attachments

·
kid in a sandbox
1,752 Posts
wow. i do hope someone will be able to contend with rossi this up coming season. make for an interesting year. it's amazing to watch him and you learn a lot and with a new bike and time there's no telling what rossi can do with it. the yamaha is probably very close if not on par with the honda now. we'll see.

·
Eli, please ban winter
5,768 Posts
And back he comes. For all the Stoner and Pedrosa talk you have to know Rossi will still destroy them. Elias is looking good too on the Honda, too bad he's not on the M1, he might become another Marco though. Fast on the M1, faster on the RC211V. Oh well I like him. Hope he shows Pedrosa and Stoner what is up....

·
2008 Triumph 675
7,056 Posts
As has been stated... testing means nothing. Look at the last days time sheets. Does this mean Rossi sucks, cause he is way down on his times?

UNOFFICIAL LAP TIMES

1. Dani Pedrosa (SPA) Honda, 2:02.77
2. Nicky Hayden (USA) Honda, 2:02.79
3. Marco Melandri (ITA) Honda, 2:02.86
4. Shinya Nakano (JPN) Kawasaki, 2:02.93
5. John Hopkins (USA) Suzuki, 2:03.10
6. Carlos Checa (SPA) Honda, 2:03.39
7. COLIN EDWARDS (USA) Gauloises Yamaha Team, 2:03.61
8. Casey Stoner (AUS) Honda, 2:03.70
9. VALENTINO ROSSI (ITA) Gauloises Yamaha Team, 2:03.85
10. Toni Elias (SPA) Honda, 2:03.95
11. Randy du Puniet (FRA) Kawasaki, 2:04.27
12. Chris Vermuelen (AUS) Suzuki, 2:04.50
13. James Ellison (GBR) Yamaha, 2:05.00

Sepang Lap Record: Nicky Hayden (Honda) 2005 - 2'02.993

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
albinohickey said:
And back he comes. For all the Stoner and Pedrosa talk you have to know Rossi will still destroy them. Elias is looking good too on the Honda, too bad he's not on the M1, he might become another Marco though. Fast on the M1, faster on the RC211V. Oh well I like him. Hope he shows Pedrosa and Stoner what is up....
I don't know if he can be like Melandri this season. 1) He isn't Italian so Fausto cannot really give him the training like how he did with Melandri. 2) All respect aside, he didn't do as well as Melandri in the 250s. But Elias is great in adapting, he looked like he adapted quite well on the M1 except during injury recovery.

·
Registered
590 Posts
SMUboi said:
I don't know if he can be like Melandri this season. 1) He isn't Italian so Fausto cannot really give him the training like how he did with Melandri. 2) All respect aside, he didn't do as well as Melandri in the 250s. But Elias is great in adapting, he looked like he adapted quite well on the M1 except during injury recovery.

Who is Elias's crew chief this year? I'm assuming Melandri is keeping his, Fabrizo Cecchini. Did Gib's crew go with him or stay with Honda and presumably become Elias's? I don't think being Italian has anything to do with it, but I do believe Melandri got exactly what he needed with Gresini and Cecchini.

With Elias it's a different story because it's his first year. He might be good from the get go, who knows? With Melandri, he started on difficult machinery, with the M1 being so configurable and all... if you get on a bad track with the settings, it's hard to find your way to the right ones. With the Honda, there isn't so much you can modify so it's easier to set up (but limited as well). I think Melandri lost his confidence from poor performance, and his performance suffered because it was hard to set up the M1.

Here's a good article that ran a while back (beginning of season) about how marco and his new team..

http://www.fastdates.com/PitBoardFeatures/MarcoMelandri/PitBoard2005MarcoMelandri.HTM

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
motorcycle testing = preseason NFL football

but i'd give my left arm to be there watching :bugeyes

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I think Marco being Italian has a lot to do with his movement from Yamaha to Honda Gresini. In fact, it was Rossi who advice Marco about the move to Honda. That was the news I read way in the beginning. Plus, Gresini gave Marco the type of training, I didn't read that Daijiro or Sete received. I guess being of Italian heritage, it might have been some sort of Italian thingamajig. Anyway, with Fortuna sponsoring the Gresini team, perhaps in 2006, the Gresini team will go for the pilgrimage.

Back to Elias and his training. So far, I haven't read that he received the same type of training that Marco did. Anyway, we will see at the beginning of the year, in the test at Catalunya.

·
Registered
590 Posts
SMUboi said:
I think Marco being Italian has a lot to do with his movement from Yamaha to Honda Gresini. In fact, it was Rossi who advice Marco about the move to Honda. That was the news I read way in the beginning. Plus, Gresini gave Marco the type of training, I didn't read that Daijiro or Sete received. I guess being of Italian heritage, it might have been some sort of Italian thingamajig. Anyway, with Fortuna sponsoring the Gresini team, perhaps in 2006, the Gresini team will go for the pilgrimage.

Back to Elias and his training. So far, I haven't read that he received the same type of training that Marco did. Anyway, we will see at the beginning of the year, in the test at Catalunya.

Maybe I took it wrong, but it sounded like you were saying Elias can't be as good as Melandri because 1) he isn't Italian and Fausto isn't giving him his special Jedi training, and 2) because his results in 250 GP weren't as good as marco's.

I think those are 2 dumb reasons why Elias can't be good, or can't become better by switching from Yamaha's Tech3 team to the Honda/Telefonica team.

I think he will be better than he was because the bike is easier to set up. In turn this should give him good fundamentals to build on for future bike setup. I would imagine this is why Vale told Marco to switch (if in fact he did, i don't know). The M1 has a lot more configuration options than the RC211V, so you'd have to be pretty good at setting bikes up or else lucky to land on the right setting from the get go.

The reason Elias might not get the same training as Marco is because he might not need it. As for Sete, I think he started off quite shakey as well but (i can't remember the name) there was a crew chief who worked with him eventually turning him into a double vice-champion.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts