R6 Message Net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I am purchasing a 2006 R6s Raven in Febuary and I am trying to decide on an appropriate riding jacket for Texas. After researching AlpineStars, Icon, Joe Rocket, Fieldsheer, I was pretty set on the AlpineStars TZ-1. However, after reading reviews on it, it seems that in temperatures above 85 it becomes really, really hot. Does anyone have any suggestions on riding jackets that provide good protection in which I will not overheat in the Texas weather?

Thanks!
Dr_Tsunami

·
Registered
87 Posts
i wear a leather jacket in the winter, and textile jacket in the summer. The textile jackets are usually cheaper as well. Oh yeah, I'm just north of Houston, so when you get that bike, give me a shout, and ill show ya around a little bit. joe

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AStars T-Stunt Air-Flo Textile for TX Weather?

I will definitely be looking to go around Houson when I get my bike.

What do you guys think about the AStars T-Stunt Air-Flo Textile jacket for protection and for the hot weather?

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a Fieldsheer and Teknic leather jackets. Both are perforated. I can wear either one year round. When its cold just use a wind blocker under the jacket with underarmour cold gear. In the summer, the only time I get hot is sitting in traffic.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DS9 said:
I have a Fieldsheer and Teknic leather jackets. Both are perforated. I can wear either one year round. When its cold just use a wind blocker under the jacket with underarmour cold gear. In the summer, the only time I get hot is sitting in traffic.
Thanks for the info on the perforated jacket.
How hot does it get where you ride?
The weather in Houston is above 90+ for most of the year :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'm in the FT. Hood/killeen area.....man it gets crazy hot here. in the summer we usually start our rides early in the morning like 6-7 am to be back before noon when the temps hit 100+. true about only getting hot when stopping !!!! I wear leather for real riding, the mesh only when running errands around town.

·
Registered
246 Posts
im in DFW and i've got an alpinestars stunt jacket. but it's the red/blk one which is perforated. stays cool except for when youre sitting in traffic, but even then it's not too bad.

·
a.k.a LiquidR1
1,178 Posts
the new teknic violator is fully perforated and has air vent scoops in the shoulder and has a zip out fleece liner for the winter. you may want to look into it. $357 shipped from kneedraggers.com. Knox CE approved armor in shoulders and elbows and removable foam back protector that you can upgrade to a better one. Iv always thought teknic has the best shit for the money imho.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Great info

This is all great info, I will take a look at the teknic violator, alpinestars stunt perforated and stage. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Violator + sport pants vs TZ-1 2 pc

Any opinions on the violator + sport pants vs the TZ-1 2 piece suit?
I am leaning towards the violator + sport pants because it has the full zipper, 8-inch and belt loop connectors.

Thanks!

·
Givin you the business
1,624 Posts
When i lived in DFW I wore a fieldsheer mesh/leather jacket. It is textile with perforated leather on the shoulders and middle of the back. It was very cool in the summer and a little safer than a purely mesh jacket. I forgot what the model name is though. Might want to check that out.

·
a.k.a LiquidR1
1,178 Posts
just got my 06 teknic violator jacket yesterday. highly recomend.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I originally purchased a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket but the holes in the mesh jacket seemed to be too large (I think they may have fixed this). I returned it and bought a First Gear mesh jacket. I was always a bit nervous about the mesh .vs my leather jacket/paints that I would normally wear but 95 degrees and 100 percent humidity it is tough to ride around with a black jacket and pants. I was riding on a particularly hot day going around 40-50 mph around a shallow turn, I saw what I thought was water on the road, turned out to be oil and the bike quickly went out from under me. I landed on my shoulder, tore the hell out of the jacket but it did hold up, no rash, shoulder still in tact. I much prefer leather but when it is too hot to go that direction, I stand behind the firstgear mesh.

Z

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do Dainese Kirishima jacket and Dragonfly pants stay cool in 90+

After trying on various jackets and pants, I am having trouble finding ones that fit snugly. I am 6'0", 175lbs, 31" waist and 41" chest. The size 44 US, 54 EUR Alpinestars jackets are long enough and have sleves that are of a decent length but they are very wide around the waist, around 35"/36", looking at the Teknic sizing chart I will probably have the same issues with their jackets.

Has anyone tried the Dainese G. KIRISHIMA pelle jacket and the Dianese P. DRAGONFLY pelle pants in 90+ temps?

Thanks!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts