R6 Message Net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my R6 this year I also bought a $30.00 GYTR tank pad from the dealer. It was my first bike and didn't realize you could get a progrip pad for $15 on ebay.

Anyways in a hurry to go out and ride I slapped the tank pad on and didn't realize at first with the bike sitting on the kickstand angled that when I stood it upright the pad would be crooked.:myfault

:umm So my theory is if I heat up the pad with a hair dryer, then use some fishing line to cut behind the pad to get it off that would be half the battle. My sister is a nurse and she has these pads that remove band aid adhesive that I would use to get the glue off. They worked excellent on the gas tank stickers

But before I perform the surgery I figured Id check to see if anyone knew of a easier solution.

RIDE ON:rockingba

·
ARE OH IN IN WHY
1,177 Posts
If the pad hasn't been on there too long, just try to pull it off. If you heat it you may be asking for more work b/c you will be melting the glue to the tank. I'm not sure, but that would be my guess

·
Registered
312 Posts
n2bikes said:
Anyways in a hurry to go out and ride I slapped the tank pad on and didn't realize at first with the bike sitting on the kickstand angled that when I stood it upright the pad would be crooked.:myfault

RIDE ON:rockingba
:firstplac You get the newb award for that one:thumbup

·
Registered
225 Posts
i have changed my tank pad many times. i dont know why. anyway, there is always some left over residue, but use goo gone or some other similar solvent. not all are called goo gone. anyway, after that, i just clean it up real nice, adn all is good again.

i would imagein that rubbing alcohol will work. since most pads come with a little swab to clean the surface....its not hard...using a hairdryer and fishing line are over kill......

·
Fire Wrench Dammit!!!
3,322 Posts
Just pull it off, and then use some wd-40 to get the residue off the tank, and then finally an alcohol swab to get clean the tank b4 you stick it back on..

·
Registered
130 Posts
if it's gonna be in the same spot but tilted so that it's straight why not leave most of the glue on the tank since the pad is gonna go right back on. just clean up the part that is no longer gonna be covered.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts