R6 Message Net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know how to get rid of that damn annoying metal plate that is in the fuel tank cap that stops you from putting anything other than unleaded fuel nozzles in it? :mad:
Mine is now a race bike and you can't even fill it with a regular dump can hose without the fuel splashing out all over the tank. I pulled the cap and it looks like it is pressed in under the lip that forms the opening. Can I just take a punch and knock it out and then remove it through the fuel pump hole in the bottom of the tank? I am going to be repainting the tank soon anyway, so the pump will be pulled.

Thanks,
Scott P.

PS- if it makes any difference, mine is an '05

·
Wat up DAWG!!!
3,037 Posts
:shrug hmmm. thats a good original question
and i done have a clue
????

is this one new:stewie

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Too many of them being raced for there not to be an easy solution.
It is an annoying little thing though.

Scott P.

·
Dragraces too much
1,641 Posts
Dremmel will have the same problem that a torch will.... :myfault

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
I don't have an easy answer, but back in the old days, before tires were made of rubber, I'd use a die grinder to cut them out of my RZ's.

It's a good bit of work, between venting the tank enough to grind in it and then cleaning all of the steel shavings and grinding wheel dust out of the tank when you're done.

·
Registered
301 Posts
WERA365 said:
Does anybody know how to get rid of that damn annoying metal plate that is in the fuel tank cap that stops you from putting anything other than unleaded fuel nozzles in it? :mad:
Mine is now a race bike and you can't even fill it with a regular dump can hose without the fuel splashing out all over the tank. I pulled the cap and it looks like it is pressed in under the lip that forms the opening. Can I just take a punch and knock it out and then remove it through the fuel pump hole in the bottom of the tank? I am going to be repainting the tank soon anyway, so the pump will be pulled.

Thanks,
Scott P.

PS- if it makes any difference, mine is an '05
Maybe something like this?

http://www.vortexracing.com/index.php?src=directory&view=Products&srctype=display&back=Products&id=177&class0_0=1109&class0_1=1283&class0_2=1288&class0_3=1289&submenu=Products&class0_0=1109&class0_1=1283&class0_2=1288&class0_3=1289&pos=5,5,9&PHPSESSID=3245acbe1afbe1cc18c087dc6145f945

http://www.vortexracing.com/index.php?src=directory&view=Products&srctype=display&back=Products&id=181&class0_0=1109&class0_1=1283&class0_2=1288&class0_3=1289&submenu=Products&class0_0=1109&class0_1=1283&class0_2=1288&class0_3=1289&pos=0,5,9&PHPSESSID=3245acbe1afbe1cc18c087dc6145f945

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
ochlocracy said:
I'd just cut the thing off with a plasma cutter, but that's just me.
och, maybe we should put a note to empty the tank first....lol j/k but that seems like the easiest solution

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I've already got the Vortex cap. The restricor I am speaking of in down inside the tank itself.

Don't think a plasma cutter is the way to go unless I want to blow myself up :)

The funnel is what I have to use now and it is a pain in the ass. I need something that I can stick the hose of a race fuel can down inside and pour.

I can't believe that no one else has had and fixed this problem. Where are all the racers on this one?

Big Deezul, you out there?

Scott P.

·
Registered
210 Posts
hey just get an R7

·
Gossamer has MOJO!!!
15,535 Posts
Trust me, I have thought about this a million times. I hate filling my 03 up. The easiest thing to do is put a small piece of pipe on the end of your fuel can so it fits in that hole...I cant come up with anything better then that

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
If want to drop some major $$$$ I know some of the endurance teams have custom made gas tanks for extra fuel. They most likely do not have the restricor in them. You could contact the builders and see what they can do... not sure about the legality though.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts