R6 Message Net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
was wondering, my husband is in the army (infantry and currently deployed) and is contemplating reenlisting. He wants to change career within the army and I wonder if they would be able to "withdraw" his new job if they need people in different positions in the future and he might get stuck with something he didn't apply for or "make him do his old one" if they have demand for people there?

As he wants to change field, need to know if he really is going to do that for sure or if he is better off leaving the army and pursue his career outside.

(Not sure if we get the whole story from the career advisor.)
Thanks!

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
Generally speaking, normally when you reup for a specific MOS you are locked into it. Now if he was to fail the training (not saying he will but some MOS's have extremely high washout rates) then he would be reclassified according to the needs of the Army.

Also, the Army has the right at anytime to revoke any MOS classification and reclassify you in accordance with the DOD needs of the time. Now this does not often happen, and honestly I cannot cite a single case that actually occured to my knowledge. However, it is a clause in all army contracts that this can be done.

There is a lot to know and honestly, I would have a troubled time attempting to explain away the years of learning I have gotten from my Army experience.

Now considering he's infantry, he probably has a chance to reclassify on reenlistment, considering we are never hurting for infantry. The trouble will mostly be making sure he has the AFAB scores and PULSHES needed to reenlist to his desired MOS and making sure that the desired MOS has a slot availible for him to get into. IN example of this situation, I had considered reenlisting for a different MOS in Satellite Communication, however there was no 10 level slots availibe and my PULSHES did not meet the waiver-able levels to reclassify to that MOS skill set.

I know that was long winded and a lot of acryonms but I hope it helped

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, well it was kind of what I was expecting then… they can but it’s not likely. Thanks, your answer did help! :)

·
My Custom Angel Eyes
412 Posts
Yea, mostly what Cever said. But if they change his MOS after all the paper work is done and is signed, he can get out due to a breach of contract. The Army may give him a hard time about it, but he can still get out.

Tell your husband to really think about what he wants to do before he re-enlists. I have seen people "get screwed" by their Rention NCO due to being down range. There just trying to get numbers. They are offering some MOS's a $10,000 bonus to re-enlist for 6 years. Depending on how many years he has already served, he may not want to do this. Because after 10 years you most likly will not get another bonus and you will have to sign Indef (make a career for 20 yrs). I just re-enlisted, not down range, for 4 years. I just served 3 years. So I was able to get a $10,000 bonus for my MOS. (Depending on MOS will depend on bonus). You have to have at least 6 years in when time to re-enlist to get a bonus if you want to re-enlist a second time. That is why I did 4 years instead of 3 like I wanted too.

Just think about your options and go talk to your legal office. They should be about to help you or talk with a retention office there on your post. They should be able to answer all your questions.

Good Luck to you!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Tell his ass to get out of the Army. Join the AF. He'll be home a lot more and when he's gone chances are he won't be getting shot at. Plus the AF has the most money and better living. Speaking from experience here.

·
Registered
140 Posts
^+1

·
Registered
129 Posts
Tell him to just get out of the service period. Actually nevermind, somebody has to stay in... But if he's going to do it, he needs to do it before he comes home.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts