R6 Message Net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i woke up this morning, i was on my way to work i got on my bike and i couldn't even push it i thought maybe the brake was stuck or sth and i finally realized i had no air in my rear tire. i had the bike for about 6 months i have 3500 miles on it i didn't have time to investigate what happened to the tire i got in my car and left for work. I have a question my bike is brand new would that be covered on a warranty if not what tires should i get. I do most of my riding on the highway from and to work but i like going to the canyons on the weekends.

I am new to the bike also and was wondering how challenging is replacing tires
and i know i have to replace both right. Now if I find a nail or sth in the tire is it just like car tire can they repair it or is that not safe.

If any one has any insight on this i would appreciate any help

thanks matt

·
Registered
652 Posts
you probley caught a nail or something along that line i recked a tire with less than a hundred miles because of it. but look at the brite side you can go do a big smokey burnout

·
VSISAPUNKBITCH!
4,499 Posts
if you get a new tire, go with pilot powers, that is what everyone is raving about right now.

you only have to replace the flat tire, not both.

you can patch or plug it, but others will tell you different. i have had no troubles with patched/plugged tires. plus it saves money.

you can save by changing it yourself if you have the tools and know how. if not, then take the wheel off and take it somewhere. it is always cheaper if you have the wheel off first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
now if i do buy new tire what size would be the best should i stay with the same size as stock?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i am going to take the tire in cause i don't have those kinds of tools i'll probobly try to patch it up if it's not damaged to bad but i guess it shouldn't because i came back home and the bike felt allright took whole night for air to escape so there must be a small leak i will try to look for it as soon as i get off work

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is it challenging to take the rear tire off? i have never done it but i can take engines out of cars so i don't think i'll have a problem with a bike the only thing is i need a bike lift where do i get one cheap?

·
She actually bought it!
1,301 Posts
you need a rear stand... and if you are using a different compound tire you should replace both tires... pilot powers seem like overkill for a new rider who commutes a lot, do some research, pilot road would be more suitable... I have diablo stradas which are a sport touring tire but i can still get down much better than stock, and the mileage is supposed to be much better than PP's or other sticky tires...

taking the rear wheel off isnt that hard... the tire is a little difficult, you should take the wheel to a shop and see if they can patch it from the inside (radial?)... if not buy a new set... there is a how to on removing wheels

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that's what i meant taking the wheel off not tire. the rear wheel stand i heard some good things about vortex and pit-bull.

question about sizes how big is the difference between 160 and 180 performance wise??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
also how important is making sure the rear wheel is balanced and what is the best way to do it?

·
She actually bought it!
1,301 Posts
stick with stock rear tire size, 180/55... front you can go with a 70 instead of a 60... have a shop balance the tire if you dont have a balancer machine, they spin it real fast

·
Ridin' Dirty
1,786 Posts
It all depends on personal preference and riding style. If you don't hit too many twisties, and ride highway mostly, then you go ahead with what ptirmal has said-get a sport touring type of tire. If you're more into twisties, you will need a stickier tire...I'd go either with PP's, Diablos ( I got those and love them), or Metzlers which are very good as well. As to sizing, stay with stock rear tire size, it would change the handling of the bike and it wouldn't be for the better. As for the front, you can change it to a 70...you might have to lower your forks though.
You can get really cheap stands for $100 for both front and rear on http://www.handyindustries.com/shop/product_view.asp?idProduct=167
They are pretty good and are good enough for me. If you do get those, get both rubber support pads and Bobbin support (spools), they will come in handy for sure. As to taking the rear wheel off, it's not hard at all, just take it off and take it to the shop-I think avg price is $20 per wheel.
I hope this helps.
Good luck

·
She actually bought it!
1,301 Posts
you only need a stickier tire to build your confidence or the track... you cant put a sport touring tire to the limits on the streets, if you can you could get in trouble

1 - 13 of 13 Posts