R6 Message Net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a rear stand and this is my first time ever using one, how do you guys get the bike up/down safely by YOURSELF??? Im totally nervous about trying it without someone to support the bike. sorry for such a dumb question, as I searched and couldnt find anything:myfault

·
Registered
161 Posts
Keep the kistsand down if I have to let go. Other then that, I grab the back seat and straighten the bike out while I align the stand. Then up it goes.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was the same way when i first recieved my stands. Now my bike goes up in a heart beat. The real weird one is when you have the back end already up and you throw up the front end as well. I always get newvous no matter how many times I have done it.

·
I ride
120 Posts
makton3g said:
Keep the kistsand down if I have to let go. Other then that, I grab the back seat and straighten the bike out while I align the stand. Then up it goes.
It can't be said any better then that.:thumbup :thumbup

·
Registered
403 Posts
Do you have a spool stand? They are much easier to do by yourself, although that is probably not what you wanted to hear if you dont have one.

I face the rear of the bike, with the passenger seat in my left ribs. reach around and grab the subframe or right pass. peg. Get the stand close to position with your right hand, then just use your body to straighten the bike up, while you use your right hand to get the stand into position. Once it is in place, keep some steady pressure on it with your right hand, as you walk around to the back of the bike to completely lift it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You may think this is the dumbest method in the world but here goes.
I sit on the floor behind the bike, put the left side of the stand in place, jam my heels against the wheels of the stand, pull down the stand SLOWLY. The bike then starts coming off the side stand, the spool on the right drops in place, then I pull her up the rest of the way.
Oh ja, I gotta do this cos my bike weighs about 100 kilos more than i do!!

·
LLOYD!!!
2,592 Posts
i've been using my pit bull for so long, i can roll up to the bike and grab the spools with the stand and lift without even touching the bike. just need to have trust in the product you're using and lots of practice :thumbup

·
Stonecutter
12,010 Posts
The trickiest part for me is taking the bike off the rear stand by myself. I'll turn the wheel all the way left, make sure the bike is in gear and the kickstand is down, hold the front edge of the rear seat (or cowl) and slowly lift the stand away.

·
Registered
301 Posts
When putting the bike up on the stand straighten the front wheel, grab the passanger seat strap to stabalize the bike while your putting it up on the stand. To take it off the stand, make sure your kickstand is down, turn the front wheel and lock it to the left this will make the bike want to fall to the side off the kickstand, grab the passanger seat strap for stability and remove the stand.

When I first got the stand I used a wedge under the kickstand, this made the bike almost upright but still on the kickstand, to take it down I jammed the wedge in the rear stand wheels so it couldn't move, then sat on the seat and rocked the biked forward :shrug

·
waiting for GP
3,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys, it was actually much easier than I thought, I tried a few of your methods and they all worked well. BTW i have spools which do seem easier. its a Vortex stand and it seems to be very good quality

·
VSISAPUNKBITCH!
4,499 Posts
you guys make shit so complicated.....roll the stand uner the bike. and start to lift, the bike will straighten itself up, and that is it.....or maybe i am doing it wrong....

do we need a stand how to?

·
Registered
8,996 Posts
I've been using a Pit Bull Single sided rear and it is so easy to use with one person.

But with the normal stand the easiest way to get the bike off the stand is to stand next to your bike, put your foot in front of one of the wheels on the stand and then push your bike forward. The rear stand will tip forward with what bike droping the rear wheel to the ground.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
shortyR6 said:
you guys make shit so complicated.....roll the stand uner the bike. and start to lift, the bike will straighten itself up, and that is it.....or maybe i am doing it wrong....

do we need a stand how to?
shorty, with a spool stand the one concern is that the other spool falls into the hook. Not THAT hard but you can miss it and the bike falls over the other way. Obviously the simple solution is keep control of the bike with your free hand and don't give the final "push" on the stand till it is in place.

For non-spool stands there is rarely a concern that you'll miss the other side of the stand; of course they still tend to be less stable once on the stand.

Either way though, I always smile when I see these posts cause eventually you know they OP will come back amazed at just how easy it was and that their fears were unfounded :myfault

1 - 13 of 13 Posts