R6 Message Net banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out a way to safety wire my rear axle using a clip and i cant seem to get a good way except for drilling straight through the axle. Anybody got a pic of how they did it or and advice?

·
Fire Wrench Dammit!!!
3,322 Posts
Drilling straight through the axle... Im just using a castle nut, and drilled a pretty decent size hole through the end of the axle.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FrkyMnky1487 said:
Drilling straight through the axle... Im just using a castle nut, and drilled a pretty decent size hole through the end of the axle.

Any idea where a good place to get a castle nut is?

Thanks

·
Registered
228 Posts
I just drilled from one flat to the other. It's kinda tricky, but if you're decent with a drill, shouldn't be a problem. BUT.... if you're wanting to use a clip, that's a different story. The proper way to do that would be to get a castle nut and drill your axel. It all depends on what you want.

·
Premium Member
5,078 Posts
FrkyMnky1487 said:
Thats what I did. Just take the axle to home depot or other hardware store and tell them you need a big castle nut that will fit those threads. Then when you have the wheel in place torque the nut to 85 ft/lbs and mark where you need to drill the hole.

·
Gossamer has MOJO!!!
15,535 Posts
They are gilleschain adjusters and lifters. They keep you from putting holes in your engine (like I did)

Call Todd at cal-sportbikes and he will hook you up with em. I recomend you getting those.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Big Deezul said:
They are gilleschain adjusters and lifters. They keep you from putting holes in your engine (like I did)

Call Todd at cal-sportbikes and he will hook you up with em. I recomend you getting those.
they f'ing rule, mine are ordered but havent come yet.
can you show me what you did to your rear stand to be compatible? i'm thinking of welding spools on it.

after using those, stock chain ajusters are just slow and crappy.

·
student/pilot/boyfriend:(
3,174 Posts
Big Deezul said:

how do they do that?

·
Gossamer has MOJO!!!
15,535 Posts
they are a double threaded screw..its hard to explain without seeing them.....most important though, they work!

If you have the rear pitbull stand that can do spools or lift the swing arm, on the swing arm side all you do is cut off the rubber scratch gaurds and they will fit right onto the lifters. You DO NOT have to order the lifters. You can still use spools and just use the chain adjusters

I dont have a picture of my bike up on the stand...Just dropped it off to the new owner or I would have snapped a few for you

·
Registered
202 Posts
The part number for the castle nut is 05138. It's a spindle nut for 92-85 Subarus front and rear. I think I got mine at Pep Boys. I put the nut on the axle and drilled a hole straight through the axle.

You'll also need a 36mm socket, the stock 32mm won't do. I think the head bearing nut is a 36mm as well so it'll be a good size to have anyway. I had a hard time finding the socket, I finally got lucky at a local Kragan.

-R.

·
Fire Wrench Dammit!!!
3,322 Posts
Fuckin A, i just posted this shit and it didnt show.. Oh well..

Im 99% sure its a m24x1.5 castle nut. There is a thread if you search safety wire that has the numbers. If it makes you feel better, just take your axle to the auto store and ask them for the largest nut they have. That is what i did and i got the correct one.

·
Fire Wrench Dammit!!!
3,322 Posts
Well if you want to get techincal, the job isnt correct as it can losen and create slack in the wire. That being said, the proper way would be to drop it through the other hole making sure the wire wraps around over the top towards the hole.

Either way, i doubt most guys at tech are going to actually make sure the safety wiring is done correctly, they are however, just looking to make sure it is done/not done. As stated before, safety wire is a visual way for tech to make sure all of the nuts/bolts are torqued down correctly. It is susposted to also keep the bolt/nut from backing out as well, but most tech guys IMHO are not going to be looking at it for that.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
RST said:
The part number for the castle nut is 05138. It's a spindle nut for 92-85 Subarus front and rear. I think I got mine at Pep Boys. I put the nut on the axle and drilled a hole straight through the axle.

You'll also need a 36mm socket, the stock 32mm won't do. I think the head bearing nut is a 36mm as well so it'll be a good size to have anyway. I had a hard time finding the socket, I finally got lucky at a local Kragan.

-R.
I found a 36mm socket at sears :).

I plan on taking my axle in with me to an auto parts store and try to find a castle nut.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts