R6 Message Net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another thread about rain, but i guess this wasn't focused very much on previous threads.

What pressure do you use on the rain tyres?

I will be running tomorrow the bridgestone rain tyre, in standard size.

Here she is ready for the wet track.

I was told to use: 1.9front 1.8rear (in bar) for very rainy.
2.1front 2.1rear (in bar) for not so rainy.

Btw i use around 29f 28r (in psi) for dot tyres in dry conditions.

What are your advices? Everything ok? :wink

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
I was told just about the opposite by my vendor at the track. He said that you need to run fairly high pressures 2.3 bar (34 psi F/R) to keep the tread opened up and channeling away water. The more standing water on the track, the higher pressure you need to run.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. So it's higher pressure because of the threads, and not lower threads because of the temp. as i was told.

What about numbers, is 2.2bar a good starting point? For say, medium rain? 2.1 for less, 2.3 for more? Or should it start from 2.3 only going up?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i'm back from the track.

tried 2.1f/r first, and then 1.9f/r and seemed the same. i crashed on the first 20minutes or so, but i think it's because i wasn't heating up the tyres..

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
Bridgestone has a 160 rear made to use on a 5.5 in. rim. 250 guys use them over here. I had one on my R6 and it worked good, once I changed the ride height to make up for the smaller tire.

·
Wat up DAWG!!!
3,037 Posts
miguel said:
ok i'm back from the track.

tried 2.1f/r first, and then 1.9f/r and seemed the same. i crashed on the first 20minutes or so, but i think it's because i wasn't heating up the tyres..
:needpic

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
sanee said:
you cant really heat your rain tires up
it might be good for a lap but after that its back to the norm
Not so grasshopper!
Tires in the wet DO get hot (if your not putting along..). Just did a track day in the rain at JenningsGP a few weeks ago, come in and the tires are steaming from the water on them. Perhaps not 180Deg on a rear like in the dry, but not that far off..

·
I sell money
1,550 Posts
MELK-MAN said:
Not so grasshopper!
Tires in the wet DO get hot (if your not putting along..). Just did a track day in the rain at JenningsGP a few weeks ago, come in and the tires are steaming from the water on them. Perhaps not 180Deg on a rear like in the dry, but not that far off..

word!! nothing worse than rushing to get your rains mounted and cranking them on at 1st call... no time for warmers and it takes a long time to warm em up in the wet!! its a VERY noticeable difference once you get some heat in em! note to self, have rains on extra rims with warmers on prior to race being decalred wet!

whats a good temp for rains to go out on?? I believe 135 is too high... thoughts?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
My rains are the same size as my DOT's. THe NEW Michelin rain rear is AWESOME.. I went much faster on the new grooved rear, whith the "knobed" front.
Warmers for rains?? Was advised against it, but if you do keep the temp low or only put on for a short time prior to going out. The rain compound is SOOOOFFTT, i mean like super duper soft.. Thats why if you get in a dry groove the rains shred. IF they are always run on a wet track they last a very very long time.

·
I sell money
1,550 Posts
MELK-MAN said:
My rains are the same size as my DOT's. THe NEW Michelin rain rear is AWESOME.. I went much faster on the new grooved rear, whith the "knobed" front.
Warmers for rains?? Was advised against it, but if you do keep the temp low or only put on for a short time prior to going out. The rain compound is SOOOOFFTT, i mean like super duper soft.. Thats why if you get in a dry groove the rains shred. IF they are always run on a wet track they last a very very long time.
I had heard to run low temp setting on them for 20 mins (ish) just didnt have a concept of how hot that actually was! was thinking ballpark 100-110 degree's, didnt know if there was any info out there on it.

ALSO, do not leave out in the sun... will harden QUICK!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So i guess it's a two sided coin right..
You can't go too hard because they're hard to heat up, but you have to go hard so that they get some heat in.

I didn't had the chance to test mine (and it was the first time using them) as i crashed on the 4th lap, and was around 30m getting the bike ready to go again, and it was a 2h trackday so when i got back in i took it very very very slow cause if i crashed again i wouldn't be able to repair it and go back in...

Hope i get another chance to do a trackday on the rain before i start racing..this one didn't quite made it for me :thumbdown

btw i don't use tyre heaters, but i'm thinking maybe they would come in handy..

·
Registered
681 Posts
MELK-MAN said:
Not so grasshopper!
thats what i meant
my tires were steaming too

in a few post down you also said that warmers werent advised
which is also what i meant:)

unless you have the controlled thermostat (thanks chichken hawk) then maybe at a very low setting just to warm em up

i might not be blazing fast but...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts