R6 Message Net banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats the 1999 specs for the r6 as far as fuel? oil grade does temperature outside change the type of oil you should use?

·
Registered
906 Posts
Fuel tank is 4.5 I believe.

15-40 works well if you live in a mild climate.

Might wanna go lower in a colder climate though, not sure exactly.

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
87 octane is fine.

Go to yamaha-motor.com and look for the My Yamaha link, you can download the owners manual.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I run 91 and it makes a difference compared to 87!!!

the tank is 17 liters

and the oil grade, I use motul full syntec 10W40

E.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thrak said:
87 octane is fine.

Go to yamaha-motor.com and look for the My Yamaha link, you can download the owners manual.

87 ??!!

Man i have never put anything lower than 91 in my bike........ I can tell a diffrence from 91-93 octane i cant imagine 87.....

I do know when i put 87 in my c5 the motor would ping -----

·
Registered
10,715 Posts
Waytofastvette said:
87 ??!!

Man i have never put anything lower than 91 in my bike........ I can tell a diffrence from 91-93 octane i cant imagine 87.....

I do know when i put 87 in my c5 the motor would ping -----
Jeeze, not again...

Look, he has a 1999 R6. You dont. They are different. 99-02 R6's spec regular. 03+ spec premium.

·
Registered
223 Posts
It seems as though Thrak has been cursed with 87 vs 91 vs 93 octane questions.
Everytime i read a new post there seems to be a gas question with Thrak trying to correct people in their incorrect beliefs

·
Registered
25 Posts
Frozen8950 said:
It seems as though Thrak has been cursed with 87 vs 91 vs 93 octane questions.
Everytime i read a new post there seems to be a gas question with Thrak trying to correct people in their incorrect beliefs
Its kinda weird tho, I understand why theoretically it shouldn't make a difference but my bike still feels more responsive and a lot sharper on higher octane fuel.

Maybe it is in my head but its not as if I'm willing it to be faster, just seems to be that way. Seems less responsive at lower revs on the lower grade fuel, even tho according to what I've read it shouldn't be.

·
He be beastin
1,458 Posts
Honestly, I have be alternating between 87 and 93 (2000 R6) and feel no difference in performance.

·
Registered
278 Posts
In England 95RON is standard and 97RON is super. My manual for a 99 specs 92RON or higher. Anything that doesn't knock is ok. Octane rating is a measurement of stability/resistance to knock. Higher octane is slower burning so peak cylinder pressure is achieved later in the firing stroke. Higher octane = less power not more. 87RON must be dirt cheap, I'd love to see someone put that in a ducrapi and blow the piston crown out the exhaust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts