R6 Message Net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help troubleshooting my bike. I was on the freeway and the bike started boggin down/sputtering and died. I pulled off and tried to re-start the bike. Turned the key and no electrical. Called some people to pick me up and tried again, this time I got the lights to function but no starter. By the time my ride got there, starter seemed to work again, but no charge so it wouldn't kick over.

Any ideas? rectifier? It's a 2001 r6 with 50k miles. Just had the tranny done last year, carb sync, valves adjusted. I was a little low on oil, maybe a quart.

Thanks for any help I get in advance.:thumbup

·
Converted to the Darkside
175 Posts
yep; its the evil black finned device on the front of your battery box, just behind the tank. check the plug going into it, and if you see some fried black residue on one of the corners, it looks like you'll be spending some money soon. the voltage reg. exact symptoms. you might also look into a new battery if its not holding the charge. the thing blows like a fuse. it either works or it doesn't. you have to replace it. it blows from continuously trimming the excess of 12V off the electrical, ie. high rpm riding. anyway, its an easy fix. start with the reg. you might have to slightly rebuild that connector, by remounting the connector onto the burnt wire (now a little shorter).

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
sounds like the good olerecifier proflem, do a search on it....thats how mine died...cruising down the interstate, guage cluster went blank, bike cut off and was popping and spitting. cranked back up about an hr later by jumping it..but ran for bout 2 mins then died again, the plug to my rectifer melted, just replace the plug with about $4 worth of parts and all fixed..

·
Registered
438 Posts
hot damn, 50K miles, thats pretty badass, you make me think my bike might last a lil longer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts